Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Horn Training/Shaping?  (Read 5219 times)

dokki

• Joined Apr 2015
  • Upstate NY, USA
Horn Training/Shaping?
« on: April 28, 2015, 03:55:47 am »
I have a couple sheep with uneven horns and they drive me crazy! I have been researching ways to shape/train them to grow the way I want, but Ive not been able to find much info on the subject. Just a vague mention here and there. These are not breeding animals, so Im not worried about passing on bad horns. Theyre just my boys who I would like to look a little prettier! Though, one has a horn growing near his face and needs to be dealt with at some point (its been hovering at about an inch away for several years). The other has wide, non curling horns (so far) and they are cockeyed... his face is gorgeous! I want his horns to match his face!

Does anyone know anything about this kind of thing?

Jas
Mum to 3 wethers and 1 accidental ram (Jacob, Jacob/Southdown cross, 2 Icelandics), chickens, cats, turtles, a super awesome American Bulldog mix (Tokki) and the best little girl ever (Mad). :}

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
Re: Horn Training/Shaping?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 08:20:21 am »
I have no experience of this, but you might like to look at this.....If you google  'bending horn tim tyne'  you will see a link to page 174  of the The Sheep Book for Smallholders which might help.....
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 06:32:51 pm by nimbusllama »

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 10:21:05 am »
They used to train cattle horns by strapping weights to the tips so they grew evenly but I think sheep would have a lot of fun finding ways to lose them.  I chose our current Badger Face tup from a group of six similar ones - the farmer told me he'd never known anyone choose with so little fuss but the clincher for me was that the horns were clearly going to grow fairly wideswept so I wouldn't have to worry about them going into the eyes.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 11:26:42 am »
It sounds as if your sheep are mature, and I'm not sure how well reshaping the hornset would be.  When they are young, you can soften the horn with a blow torch, apparently, while being VERY careful not to burn the sheep, then reshape as it cools down.  I would imagine you would have to repeat that several times.  The old fashioned way was to apply a very hot turnip/neep/swede to the out of line horn, then manipulate it while hot and hold it til it cools.
I emphasise that I've never used either of these techniques.  Because we breed breeding stock, misplaced horns go in the meat queue.
For the animal with a horn growing inwards towards his eye, if it's stayed static for several years, then it's extremely unlikely to reach his eye.  For that situation we would crop the offending end of the horn, but obviously that's not something you would want.

Whatever method you choose, please remember that horns are sensitive, both directly and by pressure, and can be torn completely off.  So think very carefully before you subject your boys to this.

Why not just accept that they have quirky horns, which adds to their charm  :hugsheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 12:23:08 pm »

'apply a very hot turnip/neep/swede to the out of line horn'

That conjures such a picture ! I must tell some of my gullible family/friends that I'm going to try this, just so I can watch their faces   :roflanim:
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 03:29:45 pm »

'apply a very hot turnip/neep/swede to the out of line horn'

That conjures such a picture ! I must tell some of my gullible family/friends that I'm going to try this, just so I can watch their faces   :roflanim:

But that is really what they do/did.  Mad I know, but safer than the blow torch option.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 04:02:06 pm »
Unless there is a need in the best interests of the sheep why bother just because it bothers you? You already said they were gorgeous and lets face it none of us are perfect.  :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 05:07:41 pm »
Unless there is a need in the best interests of the sheep why bother just because it bothers you? You already said they were gorgeous and lets face it none of us are perfect.  :)

My horns are small but perfectly formed  :roflanim:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 05:26:34 pm »
So are mine but as for the rest of me...........

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS