Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Boluses  (Read 3699 times)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Boluses
« on: April 28, 2015, 10:57:16 am »
Does anyone on here use boluses for mineral supplementation?

I'm thinking of switching from drenches to boluses as I don't think the drenches last long enough, but all the ones I've seen seem very large, with large applicators.  Has anyone had any experience on bolusing smaller breed ewes (circa 35-45kg).?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Boluses
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 12:05:21 pm »
We use Co-Secure for copper - it's a slow release 'glass' bolus, which dissolves over about 9-10 months.  We don't use them every year.  There is a lamb size and an adult size, with separate applicators.
They are really horrible things to put in.  The applicators are even bigger than the boluses themselves, and have to go quite far down the throat or they just spit them out.  The danger is damaging the tissues of the throat.
Every now and then we find one lying around the pastures, in varying states of being dissolved, so they can hack them back out.
We really like the slow release aspect, but don't like the delivery.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 12:51:11 pm »
Yeah, that's what I thought.  I've ordered some Copinox capsules to begin with as these seem small and can be administered with a normal dosing gun.  I'll use those for now whilst I use up my stocks of drench (thanks to Nettex I have lots!), but in the longer term I'd prefer to find a suitable bolus that covers Se, I & Co and maybe Zn & Cu.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 01:37:21 pm »
We've tried both types and got the vet in to administer the large ones - could do a lot of damage with poor technique and/or unco-operative sheep (and some of ours were very unco-operative!)

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 01:57:36 pm »
I have used the cobalt and selenium boluses. An assistant from the vets came out and did SOE 8 mth old lambs last year that were at a stand still . Blood test confirmed the deficiency. No problems, looked easy. I was advised to do the ewes pre lambing which I did, only one crunched it when I didn't get the gun back far enough but then swallowed it. I have been advised to do the lambs at weaning to prevent last years events.  I will admit that I wasn't keen when I saw the gun but helped with the initial lambs and thought, well that's OK then !! I don't go looking for problems only solutions ????

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 01:31:53 pm »
...follow-up question about the copinox (or any copper capsules) ...

if 2g is for lambs and lasts 6 months, and 4g is for adult ewes and lasts 6 months .... how long does a 2g capsule last in an adult ewe?  ... is it 6 months at a lower daily rate, or 3 months at the usual rate?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 03:25:52 pm »
Dispersal time will be the same, so the small ones will last as long in an adult as the large size, but with a lower dose.  We have used the lamb size on Soay adults.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 03:51:06 pm »
Dispersal time will be the same, so the small ones will last as long in an adult as the large size, but with a lower dose.  We have used the lamb size on Soay adults.
But an adult Soay is the same weight as a commercial lamb, so yeah in a Soay it would last 6 months.  But in a commercial adult??
Is the dispersal time based on the surface area of the rods or on the amount of fluid in the gut, or on the size of the gut (more surface area = quicker absorption)?

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 04:07:34 pm »
Just guessing here, but it seems to me that dispersal time depends on the properties of the bolus material, i.e. how quickly it degrades? So if it is engineered to gradually degrade/disperse the supplement over 6 months, this is regardless of the size (of capsule or animal) just that the smaller capsule size releases a smaller dose (over the same length of time) suited to the smaller size of animal?
 :thinking:
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 04:40:13 pm »
LadyK - in this case the bolus is a dis-solvable capsule containing loose copper oxide rods, either 2g or 4g worth.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS