Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Such hard work with the snow ......  (Read 2607 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Such hard work with the snow ......
« on: December 21, 2009, 11:29:01 pm »
Takes me so much longer to feed all the livestock with us being under a good few inches of snow.  Unable to get the 4x4 to the house,  and its very icy on the lane leading to the farm track.  Seems to be a constant round of cracking ice off water buckets, and carrying hay to various fields ......hens were out yesterday and then we got the heavy snowfall again.  The bantams seemed ok at finding their way back to their sheds, but some of the bigger hens got disorientated with the snow, and ended up all over the place.  I carried 14  altogether, down to their rightful place last night.  So, they have all stayed in today, which was extra work with feed and water indoors.

We are used to having snow, being near the famous Buxton in Derbyshire, which is always on the news for being cut off with massive snow drifts, but this winter it seems to be early.  Hope its not going to be a sign of things to come.  I am already fed up.  And all the walking in the deep snow has not done my arthritis in my knees any good at all!!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Such hard work with the snow ......
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 01:14:20 pm »
Poor you. It's not too bad here just now although -7 forecast for tonight according to my postie.

Just back from Pitlochry - main roads are fine but they have a lot of snow. Looks lovely if you don't have to do anything

bamford6

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 08:28:27 pm »
we live just out side off evermore 53 pens 200 sheep and the dogs takes from 7.30 till near mid day to sort out Twp at the moment minus 9 .have Sussex 3 weeks old as well as black silkies Natasha stock Christmas day the same . warm food every other day .. think about the spring all worth it

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 09:47:49 pm »

We are used to having snow, being near the famous Buxton in Derbyshire, which is always on the news for being cut off with massive snow drifts,

Snowed off the County Cricket once didnt it? In June!

How do you go about de-icing the drinkers? We're getting through hundreds of kettle-fulls, and our outside tap has frozen up for the first time in years.
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 12:50:28 pm »
Oh yes, when I tell people we are from near Buxton, they quite often recall the June county cricket match, when it snowed the game off :)
I used to live in a village on the road out of Buxton, and we got snowed in many a time, with drifts 10ft plus - have a pic somewhere of us in the landy. Will try and find it cos it  shows the drifts.

I put glycerine in the feeders, or white wine vinegar is good too.

bamford6

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 01:15:48 pm »
there seems no end to the cold snap still minus 7 and its 1.30 boxing day took till mid day to feed and sort minus 16 seems the worst temp using some heat lamps at the moment were just out side aviemore .theres 15 inches off snow in the birds field .just need a break

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 02:31:03 pm »
I think you're getting the worst of it down your side, Bamford.  My sister just phoned from Aberdeen - they've gone down the A96 from Inverness to see my cousins, Aunts and uncles.  It's getting bad down here too - my son went home this morning to Paisley from here (Clackmannanshire) and the M8 is down to one lane.  He's on the main dual carriageway into Paisley and it's snowing up as well.  My daughter was going to come with the kids from Stirling but I phoned and told her to stay put! My ducks and chickens get clean water and within minutes their dishes are filled with snow. If I put them inside they get knocked over, and I can't open the gate into the run just now anyway as it's frozen to the ground. 

I hate things which interfere with my life like this. >:( >:( >:( 

The sooner the globe warms up the better - although somehow I don't think that is what the scientists mean  ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS