Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can chicks to go outside with Mum?  (Read 1287 times)

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Petherton, Somerset
  • Don't wait for your ship to come in-swim out to it
Can chicks to go outside with Mum?
« on: June 14, 2014, 07:51:39 am »
Hi everyone
I have two 13 day old chicks and one at 10 days old (the first two were born prematurely) currently in our conservatory with their very dedicated Mum.  They are all very tiny for their age but seem healthy, happy and busy!
Can they be moved outside to a little broody house and run with their Mum?  We're in Caithness so we're not terribly warm, but certainly not cold either.  Will Mum keep them warm enough?  They have all been popped outside sometimes whilst I have cleaned them out.  However, although they seem happy inside in the little makeshift home and run that we made them, enough is enough now and I would really like to see them progress to the great outdoors.  What would you do?
Thank you all xx

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Can chicks to go outside with Mum?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 08:06:55 am »
if they are going in a broody run so protected from aerial predators mum will keep them perfectly warm.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 08:31:59 am »
Definately.... My broody has been out all the time and hars managed to keep 17 warm and safe, with some free ranging from about 2 weeks, building up to total free ranging now. They are just about feathered now and she has pretty much abandoned now :-)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 08:59:27 am »
Definitely fine right from the beginning if with mum. Mum and chicks will know exactly what to do.

Only need to make sure they are secure from all predators ..... aerial and rats etc. Hot and sunny here already so just moved my little hen families into shade too. Good if the run has some cover from rain.

They'll love it.  ;D

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Petherton, Somerset
  • Don't wait for your ship to come in-swim out to it
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 11:25:40 am »
Thank you everyone - yes, you're right....they do love it!  Put them out there just a short while ago and all is well.
The run is totally enclosed and we've put a rain cover over half of it.  Brilliant ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS