Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Daisies  (Read 2186 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Daisies
« on: June 08, 2014, 10:57:25 pm »
we have a small paddock that for some reason is really covered in daisies this year. iv just read that daisies are poisonous to ponies as its in the same family as ragwort? and on another website it says they are completely edible...hmm...

so is it poisionous to cattle and goats aswell? and pigs? i know my pony wont eat them.
its a really handy paddock so wondering if it should spray and reseed it as im wanting to use it for the goats.

the daisies are a new thing, it was a pig field a few years back.
we used to have the wild daisies that grew quite tall but no sign of them this year.

i remember last year we had unusually high volume of buttercups but hardly any this year.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 11:42:01 pm by shygirl »

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
Re: Daisies
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 06:51:52 am »
Both daisies and ragwort belong to the same botanical group - the Asteraceae. So do lettuce, chicory, chamomile and pot marigolds - note all of these are edible. Just because plants are in the same group doesn't mean they're all poisonous, or all edible & safe.

There are lists here which show plants poisonous to livestock:
http://www.smallholderseries.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=181:poisonous-plants&catid=89&Itemid=193#d

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_poisonous_plants

Sue

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
Re: Daisies
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 06:56:58 am »
I'm not sure about other livestock but I know my chooks love daisies, they eat loads of them! I would have thought there would be more conscientious effort to eradicate them if they had a similar effect to ragwort?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS