Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicken Bugs  (Read 1879 times)

Golden River farms Limited

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Chinnor, Oxfordshire, England.
    • Golden River farms Limited
Chicken Bugs
« on: October 06, 2009, 04:45:03 pm »
Just found this on Twitter. Does it effect you or me?  Are we at fault?

http://bit.ly/ow0hq

www.goldenriverfarms.co.uk. Products; Free Range Pork, Bacon,Meat Chickens and  Preserves. Manufacture; Pig Arks, Chicken Coops, Barrel Smokers. Breeders; Berkshire and British Lop Pigs, Araucana and Welsummer Chickens.

aparker155

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: Chicken Bugs
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 08:53:26 am »

NO! There are 'bugs' everywhere - there always have been and always will be!! This is just another case of the media jumping an an insignificant piece of information and making a big deal out of it.

The only message here is that poultry should be cooked properly - well there's a surprise!!!

:)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 03:38:42 pm »
As I said in the other thread you posted this query to
Don't panic!  There's nothing new about campylobacter.  My first husband was working on it at the time of his death - 1991.  Just use the normal hygienic procedures that you do with all food preparation and cook at as high a temperature as you can.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 11:43:02 pm »
My sister in law was affected by the campylobacter bug when she was pregnant, and she lost the baby. The FSA investigated and found that she had eaten salad that was growing too near an old septic tank overflow which did not meet hygiene standards. I hate the use of too many disinfectants and chemicals but I do think that we are losing some of the old country wisdom about how to grow, keep and store our food well.
Thanks for the alert - it has reminded me that i should really compost the chicken poo before putting on my strawberries.
kirsty

Golden River farms Limited

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Chinnor, Oxfordshire, England.
    • Golden River farms Limited
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 08:39:35 am »
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies.

Regards,

Paul.
www.goldenriverfarms.co.uk. Products; Free Range Pork, Bacon,Meat Chickens and  Preserves. Manufacture; Pig Arks, Chicken Coops, Barrel Smokers. Breeders; Berkshire and British Lop Pigs, Araucana and Welsummer Chickens.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS