Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: question:-is it a bird, is it a plane, nope its .....  (Read 2744 times)

spitfire

• Joined Apr 2009
question:-is it a bird, is it a plane, nope its .....
« on: October 06, 2009, 08:55:11 pm »
I think I asked the question, how sensible is it to build a polytunnel on a windy hill? well, I got my answer this weekend. 60mph winds tore my 6 concrete stansions out of the ground and my tunnel took off like a kite!
lucky we saw it going and were able to salvage some poly and stop it crashing into our neighbours house further down the valley.just needed a shoulder to cry on for a sec. :'(

but the motto is def- 'we shall overcome'- new plans already for a stronger frame with more cement to stop the wind from lifting the frame- steel re enforcement bars etc. ::)

my neighbours bless them thought I was nuts for building it in the first place (sheep farmers) but came running to help when they saw it going and still managed to keep a straight face- the joys of the scottish weather! ;)
lol
Lynne

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: question:-is it a bird, is it a plane, nope its .....
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 08:59:48 pm »
Is there any way of making a section 'tearable' to allow the wind to blow through a gap without lifting the staunchions?
Ian

spitfire

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 09:04:27 pm »
Hi Ian
not this time- the direction of the wind caught the whole side toppling it over rather then hitting the opening ends. I guess we could batton it mid way but that just leaves another seam  for the wind to creep into- we thought it would be fine but obviously there was a gap between the ground and the poly- next time lucky!!!
Lynne

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 09:21:46 pm »
Oh dear, poor you
My greenhouse was damaged in bad gales a few years ago, thank goodness that didnt fly off all together but rather was hit by flying debris (Its a twister Auntie Em!)
Can you put up a windbreak?  Hedging is better than the commercial stuff, more permeability, if it wont create too much shade.
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 09:24:57 pm »
That's not a bad idea - how about blackthorn, then you'll have sloes at the ready for sloe gin!  We planted a mixed hedge of blackthorn, white thorn and beech - and it was beautiful, and fast growing.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 12:05:14 am »
there was an amazing wind here too the other day.
I saw a great windbreak planted in a permaculture garden recently. It was several big limbs of willow - about 4 foot high from the ground which had been planted in the spring and sprouted immediately resulting in a 7 foot wind break. The only difficulty will be getting from now until the spring.
kirsty

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS