Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shetland colouring help  (Read 2166 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Shetland colouring help
« on: January 22, 2014, 08:11:28 am »
Ok I thought it may be easier to start a new post on this matter. Some of you may have seen I've bought two pedigree Shetland ewes.

The pedigrees state that they are a black and a brown katmoget. Now there fleeces are grey/ fawn I think. Are they stated as brown and black as that is there base colour?

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
Re: Shetland colouring help
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 10:28:16 am »
If they are Katmoget then colour should be what ever is on the face, stripe down chest, underbelly and up the back legs

this is a good link showing nice clear photos

http://www.shetlandsheepinfo.com/FLEECE/katmoget_genetics.htm]http://www.shetlandsheepinfo.com/FLEECE/katmoget_genetics.htm

Although I think it is american, so they might change a few words but not sure, but good photos of the under bellies and rear ends

2nd photo down on this page of my web shows a katmoget ewes front nicely

http://keepersfarm.webs.com/shetland-sheep]http://keepersfarm.webs.com/shetland-sheep

This photo shows her base coat just after I sheared her, and her daughter to the left pre shearing!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 10:33:05 am by Ladygrey »

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 11:40:30 am »
Black and brown are the genes at a specific place (there are three places for different fleece genes)

Black is dominant over brown.

Two brown genes and a 'plain' gene at a different place, gives you a plain moorit.

Two brown genes and a katmoget gene at the different place, gives you a fawn or a moorit katmoget (there is a modifier gene that alters the brown slightly). A fawn katmoget has a more 'ginger' colour and the moorit katmoget is a bit darker brown.

At least one black gene gives a black fleece, but with a katmoget gene too, gives a grey katmoget.

So they are not called brown and black katmogets, they are called fawn/moorit katmoget and grey katmoget.

Shetland Sheep genetics
I find this useful.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 11:43:31 am by jaykay »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 12:48:41 pm »
Yes Jaykay that link is really good. I have spent a few hours on it looking into colour genetics just before Xmas and it makes a lot of sense! (although I am looking forward to what my black Shetland tup has produced with the Gotland ewes and Gotland x texel ewes....

Hillview - I am surprised that the registration papers state black or brown plus katmoget, I thought that combination doesn't exist?

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 01:25:02 pm »
So I have a fawn and grey katmoget. I can send you there numbers so you can see it on the flock book.

They are in good shape for nearly 7 year olds!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 02:00:11 pm »
Seven years old.... mere babes in Shetland years.... ;D, the oldest one I lambed was 12 years old (but was then promptly retired and had to be put down the following winter suffering what seemed to be a stroke!)

I think registration person wasn't paying that much attention maybe, nice girls though!

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 06:55:16 pm »
Anke that's really good to hear! I was worried the ewes were past their best, I didn't realise how old they were at the time!

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 11:03:08 am »
I have an 8yr old Moorit ewe :) she has one tooth missing but is the stroppiest and strongest out of the lot :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS