Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What are your best commercially purchased seeds varieties  (Read 1834 times)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
What are your best commercially purchased seeds varieties
« on: December 04, 2013, 10:35:19 pm »
I've often wondered which seed merchants  seeds give crops that are something worthwhile to shout about.
 I practice 36 inch raised bed square foot gardening  as old fashioned row gardening is too much for my disabilities ..  currently I have 26 beds making for about 250 square feet of high density grown crops 150 sq ft are for veg the rest are flowers & 7 herbs .

There are some normal earth gardens but hopefully that will be converted into more raised square foot beds in the next few months .

The 150 sq ft of veg gives us almost all the veg we need for our family of three save for potatoes & cucumbers which we buy as & when we need them. 

I'll kick off with Mr Fothergill ..  flyaway carrot main crop seeds .

They are slightly  expensive ,  mostly  seeds are mixed with simple clean dry wood ash  then stationed sowed in two's & three's three inches apart in square foot grids .
I made a cardboard mask of 13 inches by 13 inches with holes  at three inch grid intervals and simply rubbed finger and thumb till the seed and ash mixture   dropped a few seeds in each mask hole .

All of the sown stations produced carrots , . thinned them if needed , leaving the strongest carrot for main crop ( We ate the thinning's over a few weeks as new baby carrots)  . Sprinkled more clean wood ash at each thinning to help keep the dreaded carrot fly away .

Result  the main crop carrots do not have any carrot fly damage . Due to the ash acting a bit like lime the soil nutrients are released but without the forking you get when using fresh manure or artificial fertilizers .

We now have some real nice clean carrots ,  average size is about 7 to 9 inches long by a top  1 & 1/2  to 1 & 3/4 inches across .

I think these " Fothergill Flyaway carrots "   are the best carrots we have in the whole of the garden beds .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS