Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hiring a tup  (Read 1906 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Hiring a tup
« on: November 02, 2013, 07:03:43 pm »
I have just hired out my black welsh lamb to someone but just wondered what happens if he shows no interest in ewes or is firing blanks?! Do I give them back their stud fee?

The reason I ask is I have just moved my other ram lamb and couple of ewes in with my main flock and he immediately did the rounds and chased a couple round the field. One was happy to stand for him and he continually mounted her although I saw no sign of penetration . Does this mean she might still not be pregnant or is she still as randy as him?!

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
Re: Hiring a tup
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 07:12:28 pm »
If I had hired out a tup to someone (or sold them one) and he wasn't doing the job, or was but was infertile, I would give them their money back, and also offer to lend them another tup FOC if they wanted to borrow one.  I wouldn't want to let the person down, and would also be considering that it wouldn't do my reputation any good if I didn't sort it out.

Connor

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Northern Ireland
  • Like us on Facbook@ Maddens Poultry
    • Maddens Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 10:52:24 pm »
Make sure your tip has a raddle and don't give back their hiring fee!
Maddens Poultry- Breed Black and gold silkies Like us on facebook
Maddens plants- Sell veg transplants Find us on facebook!

Contact me if your interested in veg transplants for your veg  patch!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 09:23:47 am »
How old is the lamb?  Late born ones may struggle to cope with more than a handful.  I prefer to hire out shearlings and don't send out lambs under 7 months old, with the proviso that I'll let the hirer have a shearling as soon as one's available if the lamb hasn't got the job done.  Never had to do this but the offer is always appreciated.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 09:49:40 am »
The lamb is coming on 9 months old and I had him running with 6 ewes. He was a twin whereas my home bred ram lamb was a single so bigger. He has gone to someone with just 2 ewes who have lambed before.

I was more bothered with the fact my ewe was still standing. I have no problem re-imbursing if necessary.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS