Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheep handling  (Read 2586 times)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
sheep handling
« on: May 22, 2013, 08:14:38 am »
Went to NSA show yesterday .... fab day.   Listened to a women, Miriam Parker , talking about livestock (beef and sheep )handling.  She handed round some glasses which gave a sheeps eye view ofthe world (try cutting 2 small holes about 5mm diameter in a piece of card, get down at sheep level, look through holes and imagine wolf is chasing you ) .... quite a revelation  and explains a lot of behaviour. They just dont see the gate/gap we expect them too if it is not dead ahead,,,,  lots about types of barrier making a difference too.

I will be developing our inherited handling system with this in mind.  To find out more  this link goes to an article...

http://www.fwi.co.uk/articles/11/02/2008/109350/a-well-designed-livestock-handling-system-puts-animals.htm
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: sheep handling
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 08:37:39 am »
That sounds brilliant. I never have time for anyone saying sheep are stupid, they're not, they are just as intelligent as a sheep needs to be and their behaviour is instinctively right for a sheep!

Temple Grandholm (think that's the name) is brilliant on handling systems, she's v well respected even by the big cattle barons on that subject.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 08:52:38 am »
Temple Grandholm (think that's the name) is brilliant on handling systems, she's v well respected even by the big cattle barons on that subject.

Temple Grandin. She's autistic and believes that animals and autistic people perceive the world in much the same way. I've read one of her books and it was excellent.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 09:03:04 am »
That sounds brilliant. I never have time for anyone saying sheep are stupid, they're not, they are just as intelligent as a sheep needs to be and their behaviour is instinctively right for a sheep!

:thumbsup:

IMO, when the handling doesn't put the sheep where you want them, it's the handler who looks stupid. ;) :D

Temple Grandin is a revelation - there are some vids about on t'internet, mainly cattle handling but the same principles apply.  Our new cattle handling system is being based on her ideas - hopefully the cattle will flow around it without needing much if any coercion.  I can't wait. :yippee: :yippee:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS