Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rules and Regs for trailers when going to abbitoir  (Read 5261 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Rules and Regs for trailers when going to abbitoir
« on: February 24, 2013, 10:05:47 am »
Rules and regs for transportation?

Just bought a trailer and is in need of some work, but just wondered if there was any must haves on the trailer?

Do trailers have to have gates on the ramp?

I was told at some abbitoirs they inspect trailers? if so what do they look for?

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
Re: Rules and Regs for trailers when going to abbitoir
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 10:15:36 am »
 :wave: you will need loading gates (gates on the ramps) TS very often do spot chaecks at slaughterhouses and MV's usually check before you are allowed to unload.

there are requirements set out on the defra site.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 11:07:49 am »
There used to be a layby on the way to the old Hereford Market where people would regularly get pulled over and their trailers inspected - never seemed to occur to them that a load of livestock really didn't need strangers poking around the trailer.  They turned up in the Market trailer park one day and stopped some people from using their trailers to take home stock they'd just bought.  Route to the new one goes another way, I'm glad to say.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 02:44:37 pm »
:wave: you will need loading gates (gates on the ramps) TS very often do spot chaecks at slaughterhouses and MV's usually check before you are allowed to unload.

there are requirements set out on the defra site.

I can only find things about horses :S Please help!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 04:38:26 pm »
I dont think its a legal requisite to have side gates on a trailer for sheep de-camping - its just easier for the market if you have cos they dont have to get hurdles out. :)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 04:58:53 pm »
Bear in mind that strictly the rules on specific construction are exempted for non business journeys of less than 50km, but you will still have to show that the animals are being transported in a safe and appropriate manner. Which means showing you can clean out (as in hose) the area they are transported in, get them in and out without risk of injury etc.
Personally if you are taking more than 1 animal in the trailer I would be making some gates, even if they arent compulsory, as it is very much easier to load and unload anything with less stress to the animal concerned and less chance of them legging it!

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 07:27:06 am »
We often use a horse trailer which doesn't have gates, but we use short hurdles as gates which seems to work fine, and trading standards have been at a market we have taken lambs to and not commented on the trailer. 

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 07:53:34 am »
Most importantly is that the trailer looks clean and cared for we have seen trailer sent back with stock on from local abbitoir  by the people due to a dirty trailer as they did not want any contamination with other peoples livestock.

Clean trailer equals clean animals.

Tala
Pigs are human tooo

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 11:18:11 am »
Our local abbatoir offers a wash out facility very cheaply.  It is well worth it for the high pressure clean - trailer always empty on the way back :( - so it is dry and spotless by the time we get home.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 02:18:37 pm »
We often use a horse trailer which doesn't have gates, but we use short hurdles as gates which seems to work fine, and trading standards have been at a market we have taken lambs to and not commented on the trailer.

Thats what I wanted to do, get a couple short hurdles to leave in the trailer tidied in.

Thank you  :thumbsup:

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 12:13:08 pm »
dont leave your hurdles in the trailer, either secure them to the front stood on the A frame or have someone make you a roof rack on the trailer.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 12:59:44 pm »
I use my horse trailer too and have never had any issues when arriving at market and offloading stock, or been questioned by anyone about the lack of fixed gates.   There's never a shortage of people willing to stand at the trailer sides if necessary, although at my local market the loading bays are set in such a manner that you can reverse right up and the gates attached to the actual loading bays can also act as side gates for the trailer, which is handy.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 05:52:33 pm »
Thank you Zak. I dont think I will make gates, But i will talk to the abbitoir and see what they said :)

Thanks everyone!

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 08:52:58 am »
Agree with Zak, I use a horse trailer for my pigs and sheep and have no gates. Never had a problem and always reverse upto the bay and their gates act as mine.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS