Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: working an (unshod) shetland pony to move firewood?  (Read 11566 times)

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
Re: working an (unshod) shetland pony to move firewood?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 08:32:33 pm »
Nice,  :) Those are what I'm looking for - may have to improvise a bit - and Rosies got shorter legs than those ponies.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 11:44:28 pm »
They look like Shetland photos before the pit pony shrinkage with their klibbers and kishies. That is what my post was trying telling you about on the Thordale website.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 02:30:50 pm »
they will love the work. as long as the ground is soft they will out last you any day. what size of load are you think they can carry. large logs could be difficult to balance.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 09:53:37 pm »
loggingvsystemturnroundbackup
Simon did some small logging with Obahma in the basic saddlechariot
BunceiBex
Simons now got rollbars and a logging thingy on the Ibex Saddlechariot now :)

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 07:52:34 pm »
Oops! not checked this thread for a while  :)

they will love the work. as long as the ground is soft they will out last you any day. what size of load are you think they can carry. large logs could be difficult to balance.

I don't know what size yet - probably quite small until I have a feel for what she is comfortable with. It would be better to drag larger logs like in JJ's 1st video but I don't think there's any way up for a wheeled log carrier - yet - and dragging them without lifting the front end means they'll snag on roots / rocks /etc.

I do like those vids;

Long term,I'd like to make one of those log carrier dodahs (I don't have any suitable wheels ATM), though I do wonder how I'd persuade Rosie to walk on if I'm not holding her head away from the edible stuff.

What's the extra 3 wheeled trailer in the 2nd vid for?

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 12:23:02 pm »
That's the log carrier (I'll check that with Simon)

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2012, 12:56:29 pm »
We tried our shetland out with an old tyre on the sand padock as a starter to pulling something useful....somehow never got further than that and now Ive got an exracer, hes so soft I dont think he will pull anything (dont realy want to let him try either!)

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, 12:00:24 am »
That's the log carrier (I'll check that with Simon)

Ah, OK - I was thinking of making something like in the 1st vid for the areas that are dragable - but that's a long-term project.

Thx

marcus

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS