Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Seasons  (Read 2662 times)

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
Seasons
« on: September 19, 2012, 10:02:59 am »
My 21 month old border collie had her first season when she was 6 months old and the second season duly followed exactly 6 months later. Consequently I was fully expecting season number 3 to appear on schedule another 6 months later. WRONG!

It has now been 9 months and no still no sign of her coming into season. Is this normal or is this something I need to get checked out? All my previous BC's have had regular intervals between seasons.

Not sure if it has any bearing or not but on both occasions when she did come into season her private bits did swell up much larger than on any other dog I've owned before - poor love.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Seasons
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 11:04:00 am »
They do occasionally have a blip just as humans do - but I think a gap of 9 months with nothing in between seems a bit long.  Are you sure she didn't have a mini one somewhere in the middle?  My younger girl (now 8) did that a few months ago so when she came in again I was taken by surprise as I was then too late to have her spayed - that had been the intention, and it needs to be done half way between seasons.

Perhaps a word with your vet just to reassure you would be a good idea - a phone call might be enough.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 11:36:38 am »
Over the years we have had some bitches with very regular seasons, while others were less predictable. We had one bitch who would sometimes go 13 months without a season.

Probably nothing to worry about.  ;D

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 02:24:17 pm »
A friends bearded collie only has 1 season a year and went 14 months last time.
As long as she is well in her self I wouldnt worry. Some are very regular, some are just soooo unpredictable  ::)

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 02:38:06 pm »
Thanks so much for your reassurances. She is very well in herself, but I just thought I would double check to be on the safe side.

Bizarrely she is the only bitch we have had that regularly wants to make love to my OH - fortunately she's not his type, LOL!   :o

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 02:38:45 pm »
Have you had her Spayed in between and forgotten all about it?

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 04:03:57 pm »
Hmm, now let me ponder that one  :roflanim:

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 09:21:10 pm »
our young bc went well over 9 months between season 3 and 4 - and now she's having another one 3 months later!!  Don't worry its not an exact science  ;D
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 08:47:05 am »
- and now she's having another one 3 months later!! 

Something to look forward to then - makes it a bit of a challenge to plan the best time to take her on a walking holiday - oops!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 08:34:47 pm »
I had a Red Setter bitch who only cam into season once a year, she was fine and went onto have a very healthy litter of pups.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 10:35:49 pm »
One of my Dachshund Bitches  had her first season at 7 months her second at 15 months her third at 22 months then she had 3 exactly 6 months apart her last one was 8 months ago and she is showing no signs of coming into season
She had a perfectly normal litter of 5 puppies at her 4 season
Graham

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 10:43:15 pm »
Assuming she hasn't met some nice young man last time she was in season, without you being aware, she'll probably regulate herself.  It is a problem when you're trying to plan things though.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS