Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Really low  (Read 8642 times)

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
Re: Really low
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2012, 11:45:19 am »
This may sound silly and be completely off beam but check the lambs feet.  A friend of mine was losing Shropshire lambs to flystrike and had a eureka moment at 1 am the other morning.  Maggots in feet, lamb lying down with feet tucked under, maggots rapidly spreading everywhere.

Good luck and fingers crossed that Roller does the trick in the short term.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2012, 11:53:48 am »
Hi Pedwardine  :wave:   About reducing sheep numbers:  this is what we had to do last year.  Our numbers had crept up and up but my health had gone down and down, and my OH has had a major health prob for several years.  We realised life was all about working with the sheep, no let-up.  Parting with a large chunk of our breeding flock was very difficult but we sold our animals privately to people we trust, and we hear about them from time to time.
The relief of having fewer sheep is enormous.  With the smallish numbers we have, inputs and gains about balance eachother out, whatever the actual numbers involved, so the only winners are us, with a more relaxed atmosphere around the place now the pressure is off.  If we decide at a later date that we can manage more sheep again, well we can breed up our numbers or buy in new stock.  We kept some from each bloodline so it should be possible for us to build back up again.  Choosing who goes and who stays is difficult, but once you've made the decision there's nothing but relief.

An excellent side effect of reduced numbers is that the sheeps health has improved noticeably  :thumbsup:

I just thought I would let you know that reducing our numbers has worked for us so it could be what you are needing to do  :hug:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 11:55:35 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2012, 02:08:46 pm »
Great advice and tons of encouragement. My low is coming back up again!  :)  You've all been there haven't you? Barry's read all the responses this morning. His faith in human nature is hugely restored by finding he has friends he has never met. Mine too.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 02:10:23 pm by Pedwardine »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2012, 02:54:12 pm »
It always helps to know that other people have been in whatever trouble you find yourselves in.  TAS has been a great help for me since I've become disabled.  Just knowing people care is a help.  Although I only have my three goats so don't know much about downsizing, it does sound like a good idea.  I write as a former craftworker.  I'm sure if you had time to do your crafts, you'd be happier, more relaxed people.  If it's in there, it has to come out.  When my ex and I gave up our business, then split up, for a while I couldn't face doing anything craft-y but it didn't last.  I don't have all the equipment or the room (or health) to weave any more but I still manage to knit.

I think it's something you should seriously consider together.   :hug:

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2012, 05:53:52 pm »
And remember Pedwardine..... all that sh1t in your life will make great compost.

Something good will grow out of it.....

:bouquet: :hug:
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2012, 06:16:10 pm »
We have all been there believe you me, even if you are not a smallholder. It will get better, we had to make hard decisions about three years ago and it seems there is no end, BUT I promise you it will get better and although i am not religious I do believe things happen for a reason and in fate. So try not to be too down, there is always light at the end of the tunnel, you just have to be patient.
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2012, 06:43:20 pm »
Even if the tunnel does seem to be unending at times.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2012, 07:23:51 pm »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: for everyone in long tunnels with the light rather small in the distance  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2012, 08:45:05 pm »
And remember Pedwardine..... all that sh1t in your life will make great compost.

I shall remember this Suzie, what a great thought to keep with you through troubles :) :)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2012, 09:43:11 pm »
No good advice just a  :hug:
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2012, 09:55:07 pm »
Love that Suzie!  ;D ;D ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2012, 10:52:39 pm »

Sounds a good theory - hope it's true. :thinking:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2012, 11:20:20 pm »
Truly sorry for your losses :bouquet:

Just watch out for that light at the end of the tunnel :o - it may be a train.  But what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger - so keep going :thumbsup: and good luck with the car sale.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS