Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 4 week old gosling emergency  (Read 6385 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: 4 week old gosling emergency
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 12:04:46 pm »
No, geese still sitting but one egg broken and rotten yesterday, so imagine the rest are not fertile.

Looks like my expensively imported (from East Anglia) gander is shooting blanks! So might be interested in a male gosling.....of course, the girls have bonded with the fella here now  :-\ I love these geese but trying to get healthy, breeding stock seems pretty difficult  :-\

No, no Muscovies thanks, I gave away the other two in the end, they were terrifying the runners and having all out fights with the hens  :o and that was before they were even fully grown. Suspect them both of being drakes! They did the job that they were bought for, which was to keep the single duckling, rescued then foisted on me, company.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 12:12:56 pm »
Shame about the Muscovies, definately males, they are always the cockiest.  We're left with what looks to me like 2 male and 1 female goslings but I'll let them stay together for a while yet, despite their bossy pond antics. Thanks Jaykay.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, 10:37:01 pm »
Just seen this. Sorry little one didnt mak e it  :(

What was the outcome of the postmortem?

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 07:49:31 am »
Thanks Shaz, post mortem didn't reveal anything apart from a little mark on the wing  ::)  so was most likely the clumsy footed parents.  On the up side the 3 which are left are 2 females and 1 male and the male goes to a swap with jaykay so its a happy ending  :D :wave:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 08:18:30 am »
Sad for little one. At least there were no nasties found on pm to worry you for the others' health.

Good outcome in the end for your brood  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS