Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Heart murmer  (Read 9222 times)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Re: Heart murmer
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 09:14:10 pm »
Get well soon Archie  :dog:  - and chin up Bionic  :wave: .....you'll both be fine  :thumbsup:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 09:21:52 pm »
My young horse had a heart murmur, vet said to continue riding him as normal he is 11 years now and though not with me, he is still ridden and jumped. :wave:

Bill the brew

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 10:16:35 pm »
....fairly common and like so many others have said, may not effect him much at all....If he had not been tested, you would not have known, I believe they often heal and my son discovered he had one when he went for a minor op...they play footie, swim and run!!! :wave:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Heart murmer - Update
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 03:18:02 pm »
Vet said she has spent some time with a colleague looking at the xrays they took yesterday. Nothing obvious is showing and the heart is not enlarged.

I now have 2 choices
1. Get a heart expert to look at the xrays and maybe do some more of their own (expensive)
2. Carry on as usual. If Archie hadn't had the snip yesterday we wouldn't be any the wiser.

I am tending towards option 2. He is a lively dog, not showing any signs of anything amiss and vet said if they find out what the problem is they may do nothing anyway but that depends on the problem.

OH thinks we should go for option 1 whilst the insurance still covers Archie but is drawing the line at any exploratory surgery if expert doesn't know what the problem is.
Sally

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 03:28:20 pm »
If you have insurance and your excess isn't too high I would go fro option 1 in agreement with your OH - but also agree that no exploratory examinations would be done.  Fine for the experts to look at the x-rays and possibly any others if they need them, but no poking and jagging and cutting open. ::)   I suspect as I said it could just be a leaky valve.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2012, 04:18:04 pm »
Have they told you what level of murmur it is?

I agree - if you're paying for insurance, you may as well use it!

Helen

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 05:13:16 pm »
Get a referral to your nearest Vet School - there's one in Bristol.

They will have access to all the latest technology and be up-to-date with the latest techniques. If you are covered by insurance, now is the time to get this done.

Make sure you never change insurers after this though - it will be a pre-existing condition and will not be covered by a new insurer. Also check what sort of cover you have. Some won't payout in the future if you don't make a claim within a certain period after diagnosis. Also, some policies only cover illness for the first 12 months, others offer cover for the life of the animal. So, do check your cover first.

Sue

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 07:51:20 pm »
Sue,
Unfortunately I only have basic cover so after the first 12 months he won't be covered either by the existing or a new insurer. If I need anything done it has to be this year.

He has to go back to have his stitches out on 6th July so I will discuss it with the vet again then

Sally

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2012, 01:35:39 pm »
One of my sisters toy poodles was diagnosed with a heart murmer when she went for her second inoculation as a puppy   they listened to her heart a few days later  as she had already been vet checked before my sister bought her and the second test was clear , she lived to 17 years old and not once had any heart problems
Graham

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2012, 09:18:53 pm »
My old girl was diagnosed with a heart murmur at ten years old, but she had been fit and well all her life and it wasn't that the she died of.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2012, 08:52:23 am »
Well Archie is going to see the specalist on Tuesday. She said the examination will take 2 hours and it will cost £400-£450.
Luckily the insurance will pay this (I think) but after that there will be no money forthcoming from them for this condition. Fingers crossed that she can detect the problem but will say he can live to a ripe old age without anything doing  :fc:
Sally

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2012, 09:19:26 am »
Fingers crossed.

Helen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS