Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how to search for land for sale?  (Read 4093 times)

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
how to search for land for sale?
« on: February 07, 2013, 04:24:08 pm »
Hi There,

We currently have no property of our own, my husband is in the armed forces so we live in military accomodation but the plan is to buy a smallholding when the time comes. However we thought we might buy an acre or two in the area of our next posting (we will be sent to RAF Wittering, Cambridgshire in the summer 2014) so that we could maybe get things going, the problem is that I have no idea how to find that kind of plot?

I have tried looking at land agents, estate agents etc. but I don't know if this is the right way to go for such a small parcel of land? Does anyone know of a good place or good resource to look at? I'm not sure of the most efficient 'search terms' to use!

the great composto

Re: how to search for land for sale?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 04:27:39 pm »
I have tried a few websites like greenshifters and somebody will come along with loads of others but when I look at the land in the area I want to buy it mainly seems to be controlled by a very small number of people who seem to want as much as possible for themselves.

So, I have come to the conclusion that you need to talk to the people in your locality because word of mouth gets round faster than any estate agent or internet site.   
If you are not 'in the know' it is very difficult to grab land as it becomes availalable.

Good luck with your search

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 05:33:07 pm »
You could try to find out who the local agricultural auction firms are -  Aberdeen and Northern Marts for instance also sell country properties and land in Scotland
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 05:44:53 pm »
I second talking to people locally.

The land I bought wasn't for sale. But when I asked around, one farmer could do with a bit to help with his child support payments, another needed a new shed back at his main holding - and so I got to buy two 4 acre fields.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 06:11:49 pm »
Cheffins do a lot of rural property and land in Cambs, we bought our place at one of their auctions

smiley bucket

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 08:41:12 pm »
Put a wanted ad in local ag mag.  Don't expect to pay much under 15k an acre, looked at three acres being sold as three one acre pony paddocks (as if) for 20k each. 
Come to Somerset instead, I'll get you some for just 12k an acre, a bit of a commute though  :excited:
Pay our politicians minimum wage and watch how fast things change.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 10:28:24 pm »
How long will the Wittering posting be do you think? If it isnt permanent it might be better to rent a field as thats a lot cheaper than buying a small are (when you are outbid by pony paddock buyers or people hoping to get pp on the land) and you wont be tied to it if you have to move on.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 07:24:08 am »
Thank you for all your suggestions. I think when we move we will have to get to know the local farmers and keep our ear to the ground as far as managing to find the odd acre locally.

The rental avenue might also be worth exploring, I hadn't really thought about it before. We expect to be at our next posting for a long time probably about 6years plus. I think renting is a good idea but my husband I think would be put off by it not being 'our land', I might be able to convince him though!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 10:20:46 am »
If you get chance to buy do so. It will give you security of tenure and you can do what you like(within local constraints)
Lots of TASers have had problems with landlords in the past so if you do rent get a proper contract made up which is respectful of both parties.
All the best with your future plans
Mandy :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS