Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Eek, what's going on?  (Read 3766 times)

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
Eek, what's going on?
« on: May 23, 2012, 11:44:30 am »
One of my old GFD ewes who is currently on a sabbatical has just stood, repeatedly (!), for the ram - what on earth is going on????

I have always put my girls and boys together over the summer months and never had any surprises.  I guess the sun has gone to her head and she's feeling like a loved-up hippy.

But on a serious note, the ewes 'shouldn't' be cycling at this time of year so what is going on? Is she just being a floozy as she didn't get her bit of fun in the Autumn OR could she actually be cycling and could she actually get pregnant?  ???

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
Re: Eek, what's going on?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 12:21:08 pm »
I dunno but you've got me worried because my rams in with my girls too.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 12:36:44 pm »
she must have been gouping for it or she would not have taken it ;D :farmer:

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 12:37:11 pm »
Novice keeper so can only tell you what I have been told by local experienced farmer .... no knowledge of your particular breed.

Not unheard of for them to conceive at any time of the year. He has known ... surprise lambs ... at all times of the year. I was told that primitives are less likely to conceive except in the autumn but even these are not fool proof.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 01:07:37 pm »
She must be in season for the ram to cover her, you are going to have late lambs.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 01:15:32 pm »
I have an elderly Shetland ewe too old to breed from who has stood faithfully for a couple of days every cycle right through winter and spring, shouting across the road to the tups, who we keep over there well out of the way  ;D   If you keep entire males in with your ewes you will get lambs  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bangbang

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 01:22:06 pm »
It's the sunshine, I think. This morning one of our goats was coming on to the billy  :o ;D

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 03:04:36 pm »
Well I've done a bit of research on t'internet and found a few articles where lambs have been born in the Autumn but it is extremely rare in most British breeds.

I'm just keeping everything crossed that although the ewe stood for the ram that she wasn't actually cycling.

Puts me in a bit of a dilemma about what to do for the summer albeit it is the first time anything like this has happened in the past 7 years so I just hope it's a blip.   :o

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 03:24:47 pm »
We discuss this several times a year, and the threads seem to come out about half-and-half "it's very rare and unlikely in primitives" and "it happens, here's a list of all the breeds (including several primitives) which cycle all year".

With the climate all over the place, I'd expect lambs if I ran fertile ewes with fertile tups - and no, having their lambs on them is not 100% protection, either.  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 03:35:13 pm »
With the climate all over the place, I'd expect lambs if I ran fertile ewes with fertile tups - and no, having their lambs on them is not 100% protection, either.  :D

My understanding was that a ewe coming into season was based on day length (i.e. longer nights) which, as yet  ;D , climate change hasn't had any impact on.

Is the time the ewe comes into season affected by climate as well as daylight?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 04:35:23 pm »

Is the time the ewe comes into season affected by climate as well as daylight?

We definitely notice differences year to year here - everyone aroundabout found their girls taking longer to get in the mood this last time, after two very long hard winters the years before.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 01:03:58 pm »
We definitely notice differences year to year here - everyone aroundabout found their girls taking longer to get in the mood this last time, after two very long hard winters the years before.

Interesting, ours took longer to get in the mood too - I had put it down to a new, inexperienced ram but maybe I haven't been fair on him.

One final puzzle with my old ewe, she was in a field with 2 mature rams and it was the more senior of the mature rams was the one that got his wicked way with her. The other lay about 100 yards away merrily chewing the cud showing no interest whatsoever whereas a few of last years entire ram lambs were a bit curious.

Not sure whether this gives any clues to her genuine status or not? Ho hum, I guess I'll find out in October (oh yes, that makes another month in which I now can't plan a holiday, oops   ::) )

downthetrack

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Nr Maud, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 07:40:34 am »
We're expecting lamb(s) any day now even though the tup is barely 9 months old....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS