Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: progress  (Read 1983 times)

holz306

• Joined Jan 2012
progress
« on: April 17, 2012, 02:35:41 pm »
 ;D  Well, i'm now a registered pig keeper with my herd number in the post....and i'm picking up my piglets on saturday!  I've built their enclosure which is electric fenced inside stock fence so hopefully they won't escape although i was unsure how high/low to put the electric...but as i say, if they get through it, they are still inclosed by the boundry stock fence so can't go far.

The pigs are coming from Muir of Ord - which is about 160mile round trip for us.  The breeder has Landrace, saddlebacks, Large whites and Kune Kunes to choose from, at £40 - £50 each.  I'm planning on getting 2, possibly 3 - what breed would everyone suggest? i plan to get at least one saddleback. 

All i have to do now is build their house!  :thumbsup:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Re: progress
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 05:10:05 pm »
Hiya - we used these heights...

Piglets and adults
Three lines at 15 cm, 25 cm, 40 cm

Adult full size pigs only
Two lines  at 25 cm and 45 cm

and apart from barging straight through them a few times on the first day (THAT was fun - not!!  Have a blanket at the ready to catch!) it worked brill.   We built a straw bale sty which also worked well and would have lasted a few sets of weaners if we hadnt had plans for the field.  Really enjoyed keeping and eating our saddlebacks They lived outdoors all the time from Sept to Feb were easy to manage etc.  You will get the full range of breed advocacy here  ;) so from what I've read - hard to go wrong!!   Think we will try large or welsh black next time (I think they are real breeds!) just for comparison.  Enjoy! Happy days ahead.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 05:44:53 pm »
I have had the all black pig and just got back the meat from our Kune-Kune. the all black went to slaughter at 24 weeks but would have been better at 20 but we did not have the time off work to get them away. The Kune-Kune went at 10 months, the meat is to die for. they are smaller, cheaper to keep and a joy to work with. I plan on having 2 more at the end of this year all being well. have not tried other breeds.

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 06:24:08 pm »
I agree with FiB on the fence heights and Sabrina on the breeds  ;) ;D I love my Kunekunes and everyone loves the pork from them, but I couldn't be without my hulking great Large Blacks either.........everybody has their favourite  ;D

Kunes will do well on 1lb of pig nuts per day plus grass (they'll need half an acre minimum to see them through to slaughter at 10 months/60-65Kg liveweight) or your 'big' pigs will need 2,3,4,5 lbs per day depending on age and not quite as much space, finish at around 6 months and 85Kg liveweight (or possibly more if you choose Large White or Landrace  ;))

Don't mix the Kunes with the big pigs (I know some folk probably do) but I think the feeding regiemes are so different and the Kunes need the grass that the others dig up that if you're going for the Kunekunes (and it would be a great choice for a first timer cos they are just soooooo nice & easy to manage  :thumbsup:)  - keep them in their own space to get the best from them.

If you decide to get say, one of each of the other breeds make sure it's gilts you're getting as otherwise you might have quite serious fighting going on (but they could already be mixed by the breeder, in which case ignore that last bit  ;)) But it's worth making sure they are all the same sex anyway - you don't want any surprises  :o :D

HTH & keep us posted
Karen  :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 06:34:17 pm »
you and only you can chose what pig you get  from the 4 listed
landrace a long and lean  pig compared to others
saddelback has a tendency to go fat but depends on age and feeding (Mr pig will disagree as he has done before )
large white as the name suggests is well large  and is half the breeding that goes into commercial; pigs  the other half is landrace
kunnies  well no doubt you have to keep them longer  and they are smaller but not always cheaper on a per kilo basis
your call :farmer:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 09:31:41 am »
Personally i'd go for all one breed as siblings are less likely to fight each other and will settle down quicker, if its your first time get all boys and then they HAVE to go to the butchers before 28wks, then you can decide if pig keeping is for you and think baout getting gilts next time.
HTH
mandy  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS