Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Garlic growing...  (Read 9181 times)

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
Re: Garlic growing...
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 02:52:34 pm »
mine are between a couple of inchs to about 10 inch. the ones i seen on the tv were about 2 foot tall. i heard some varities dont have scapes and only produce them when they are under stress. i dont know just hope i get bulbs and not big cloves.

Wellieboots

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 09:12:56 am »
I've got more garlic than a garlic factory growing at the mo, a pressie from the garlic co on the isle of wight. Some scapes are 10-12 inches, others less so but then they are all different types. Best thou is my elephant garlic, it is seriously big, the scapes are 14 inches & average 2.5 inches wide! If they split properly then I'll need a tractor to haul them out!

Carolinajim

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Eastern North Carolina, USA
    • Red Bay Farm
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 11:25:24 pm »
We use a lot of garlic in cooking.  We always have those tiny cloves that you have that just are to much to bother with...with my fat fingers.  So, I am always planting them in my garden all the time, all year round.  My neighbor gave me some of the elephant garlic.  Nice and big but the flavor doesn't seem to be as strong.

My Dad showed me something neat today.  Snap off the flower bulb from the top of garlic plants, sautee in butter...good.
Best Regards,
Jim
www.redbayfarm.com a website about a small 46 acre family owned tree farm
Become Carbon Neutral - Buy Land and Plant Trees

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 11:33:19 pm »
I have a problem with my garlic  ::)  I've planted them all in the same pot. :-[  So if I dig one up I'll disturb the rest and they all have different length scapes! :-[  What a dope. :-[ :-[
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 06:44:08 pm »
I planted mine at the back end of last year and they should be ready around mid June, so looking forward to trying them. ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS