Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pet Sheep  (Read 6792 times)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Pet Sheep
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 01:30:26 pm »
My Shetland girls all have names and I am fond of them but as soon as they start to founder I will do the right thing by them. My oldest is thirteen this year and if she doesn't produce that won't be a problem, she can enjoy her retirement as long as life is sweet. I don't know that she'll make much mutton or that we could eat that many stews but a good life and a useful end is right, I think :)

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 03:43:14 pm »
No pet sheep here i'm afraid, but good- for- you if you want to keep them. We did have some old girls one was 12 when she went and they bred us a lamb every year. But as soon as they get to looking like they are struggling to keep weight on  through the winter they are gone.
It's just the economics we can't afford to feed the waifs and strays. I've :love: got guinea pigs and rabbits :bunny: at home to cuddle if i need to be close to something furry, and of course the OH :D

milarepa

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 07:46:12 pm »
W HAVE 4 SOAY EWES BORN MARCH THIS YEAR THEY WILL BE TUPPED END OF THIS YEAR AND THEIR LAMBS WILL BE KEPT LIKE THEIR MUMS FOR THEIR  LAWN MOWING SKILLS AND THE STRESS FREE HOURS THEY BRING US WE ARE VEGGIES BUT LOVESHEEP GOATS AS PETS  SOME PEOPLE SAY WE ARE STRANGE I FIND THEM STRANGE EVERYTHING HAS ITS PLACE NOT JUST THE PLACE TO BENEFIT HUMANS :cow: :sheep: :goat: :wave:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 08:21:40 pm »
We had a pet Texel ewe called Lauren. She arrived with Hardy as Laurel and two weeks later I noticed something wasn't quite right in the 'tackle' department. Hence the rename. Got really big and spoilt. Built her shelters and fed her treats and she cut the grass---- and the fruit trees -------and the conifer hedge -------and then preferred tree bark to hay -----and then wanted only the really expensive hay-----and liked apples and picked her own-------and thought chasing chickens was a great game ----and has now gone -----down the road to behave like a proper sheep with other proper sheep. She'll be a mummy in Spring. The chickens are happy again.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 10:00:00 pm »
Thank you for all your replies-I respect everyones views. I've loved reading them all and realizing there are lots of people just like me! I'm sure there are many problems ahead when the sheep get older - I'm not sure what they might be... but for the time being I'll just enjoy them whilst I can.  :sheep:  :)
4 pet sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS