Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What sells well at village shows/ markets?  (Read 4868 times)

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
  • www.escapedtothecountry.com
    • Escaped to the Country
What sells well at village shows/ markets?
« on: February 16, 2012, 01:33:51 pm »
This is more for a bit of fun than a money making scheme - though if it did, even better.

I have always enjoyed growing flowers and have been quite successful doing it for friends, family, and neighbours and more than covered the cost of doing so.

I thought I might try to make a bit of money growing on plants, and then selling them at our village show and other places now that I have plenty of space. I love growing dahlias, and roses and thought if purchased wholesale, potted up and grown on, they may go down quite well.

Any thoughts?

Jonathan
www.escapedtothecountry.com

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: What sells well at village shows/ markets?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 02:00:21 pm »
CSSA have attended a good few shows now and have found that plants don't seem to sell well.  If you can grow enough I would suggest having bunches of cut flowers, maybe even wrap them in coloured tissue paper, and bunches of veg (carrots, radishes, parsnips etc), boxes of fruit.  People seem to want an easy option at these shows.  Our chickens used to draw in a lot of interest though.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 02:22:45 pm »
It may depend upon who are visiting the fete and what others are selling. We visited lots of village shows here in f France last year and it stuck me that people luv the skill of crafts etc but often don't buy. BUT if you have a low cost high volume product to sell with the quality goods then they linger ( especially if the kids want to choose something) then they buy.
For example - if selling necklaces or other bits then sell the beads. The kids linger choosing their beads and the dad eventually buys the mum a necklace.
Flowers - sell individual heads maybe along with displays and pots. Big price range.

Another example - whole ducks were sold for 14 Euros but they sold the liver,gizzard, legs and duck fillets and I reckon that came to 22 Euros a duck.

Just some thought but a spread of products and prices with something to keep the kids at the stall may work.

Good luck ! Martin
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 03:03:39 pm »
That reminded me - the year we did a lucky dip we got more memberships!  We grabbed the parents while the kids were digging for toys and sweets in the woodshavings in a feed bag.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 03:28:48 pm »
One tip that may help. Put a price ticket on everything. If you don't folk may not like to ask and then be embarrased to say no. So they would rather not ask in the first place :)

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 03:50:52 pm »
I find plants sell well , the last time I had a stall the plants and saplings went before I could set up. Fresh baking and eggs do well up here although you do need to be registered for egg sales. When I have a stall I do have a mixture to sell so try a bit of everything and see what happens. I would visit a few places as well to see whats selling but some places will only allow a couple of stall of the same product. A mixture of stuff would be a good start I think.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 01:27:46 pm »
Rhubarb!! I tied some very prettily with raffia for our local fund-raising street market. 10 bundles went in a few minutes.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 04:14:46 pm »
Having a basket of second hand paperbacks for sale (if it's allowed in the show/market rules) helps to bring people to your stall for a closer look.
I think there's a whole lot of psychology involved in getting people to buy from YOUR stall and it's well worth looking round lots of other events first to pinch the good ideas.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 05:15:17 pm »
Plants sell well.  Potted up Cosmos seedlings, for example - five to a small pot for a pound sell like hot cakes. Vegetable plants also sell well. I always take along some hardy perennials as well.
We also take along duck and chicken eggs and our apple juice and don't bring much back!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 05:33:22 pm »
I take Marigold with me - as you can see she is a wooden replica of my milking goat! she has an 'udder' filled with water and the children spend ages 'milking' her. THis in turn a) increases the chances of passers by chatting about goats but b) while the kids are milking away, mum and dad are buying more soap  ;)  I also have a diddy table with colouring in pictures of goats and farm scenes and a pot of crayons. The longer the children hang about, longer mum and dad do too!  So in answer to your question, you can sell a lot of most things if you keep the 'buyer' nearby long enough!   
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 08:44:37 pm »
That's so true. What I hate is when people are looking at your stall, then a friend comes up and distracts them and then they wander off. Or the helpful soul who will say to another potential customer 'Ooh, you don't want to buy that - I've got loads in my garden.' Thanks for that!
Or the customer who asks about every plant on the stall then walks off. Or the customer who asks for advice about a plant he/she has at home. This got so bad one year that I thought about having a sign saying 'I also sell plants' but decided it was too subtle for most people!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS