Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how much  (Read 2367 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
how much
« on: July 10, 2011, 08:47:06 pm »
ive been offered a billy to keep my docks and nettles down in my duck field...cant remember the breed but its a few months old and apparently doesn need castrating as it doesnt effect the meat on this breed... its £80... whats the rough price for a young billy

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: how much
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 11:54:48 pm »
Are you wanting to eat the billy once the docks are eaten?  Don't know what breed it could be that the smell does not taint the meat......whatever, I would have thought you would be better with a couple of castrated billy goats, rather than an intact one....goats are herd animals, and prefer to have company.

As to price, this all depends on the breed, whether its registered, how old etc. etc.  A registered billy would cost you a lot more than the price you have been quoted.  But I would say you could find a castrated male cheaper - mine were all free ....as were the pygmy intact males I have.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 06:51:39 am »
Oh dear, the myth that certain breeds don't smell !!!!!!!

Harry: the one thing that is for sure... this intact male once he has settle in ... will attempt to dominate you because as another male you are a threat to him.   Having kept entire males for more than 30 years & quite a few together,  I can assure you that natural instinct will take over particularly as the breeding season is approaching.

The fact that the boy is a few months old will not affect his behaviour... all male goats can effectively work from 5-6months old !!!!!!

Get yourself some castrated males they will live very happily as a group with out any hang ups.

By the way,  if an entire male rears up to challenge you & makes contact,  it hurts mega style !!!!!!!!!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 09:59:12 am »
There's no way I'd have an intact billy, apart from if I needed one for breeding. Get a couple of wethers, company for each other, calm and friendly and non-smelly  :)

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 10:08:41 am »
Also, all agricultural animals must by law be kept with a companion animal of the same species.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 08:35:23 pm »
Someone is trying to con you into buying the mistake he made or couldn't go through with (the castration or PTS at birth I mean)...

Please do not buy an entire billy, and not for 80 quid either. Lots of people will give wethers away free, although I will only sell mine for at least what they cost me in rearing so far! If someone wants them for nothing it is more economic for me to eat them myself!

He is probably not disbudded either!

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 08:54:56 pm »
Also, all agricultural animals must by law be kept with a companion animal of the same species.

Know that's advised,when was it made law?

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 11:47:42 pm »
I know it applies to pigs,not to keep on their own, but not other animals.  I know quite a few people who have a milking goat, and keep it out in the field with the ponies, so it has company.   Horses are not agrcultural  I know, but again, they are kept on their own.

I have a pet sheep, and a llama .....they have each other for company.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 10:13:28 pm »
Yes, I don't think it is actual law- however I would never recommend keeping one animal on its own- like a goat in this case.

But sometimes, given certain circumstances I have know goats to live on their own and been fine. Generally it only happens when old age is reached, and their companions have died. Being old, they don't really care for a new young boisterious companion and would rather be left to their own devices.

However, in this case I would certainly not reccommend a young billy to live on his own- he will only try and escape to get to some company. And if he is trying to escape he won't be eating your docks!

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS