Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Drowned piglets ...  (Read 4152 times)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Drowned piglets ...
« on: July 03, 2011, 08:06:16 am »
Just a quick warning to those of you who use low water containers for their pigs  ???

I had to take a poorly piglet (think mum had trod on her by mistake) to the vet on Thursday (she gave-up overnight last night  :'( ) ...

In the 40 minutes I was gone, Harriet went into (slightly premature) labour (she wasn't due until at least today - but then pigs can't read the rule book).  When I got back I found 2 newborn piglets, drowned, in the water bucket & a lonely little just born piglet.

Awful experience  :( - could be because she is a first-time mum, but I'm so upset with myself that it could have been prevented - just never thought, all the others have laid down to have theirs (suppose theirs always 1  ::) )

Wee little "Harry" is ok & he already has a lovely new "pet" home waiting for him  :-*

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
Re: Drowned piglets ...
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 08:11:17 am »
Oh no! That's just devastating. We only have low water troughs once the young ones are drinking, but thanks for the warning. Poor Harriet: how is she taking it?

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 08:35:07 am »
Harriet's ok - thanks  :bouquet:  She doesn't seem to have noticed anything (I think I'm more upset than her  :-\ ). 

I was worried about mastitis, but Louise's 4 are getting a sneaky suckle from her now & then, so I think that's helping (& they're doing very well on it too!).
I had tried to seperate them when Louise had hers 2 weeks ago, but Louise got too distressed & wouldn't settle.  So they have half a cow byre to themselves, with a little paddock outside.  It's soooo cute in the morning - both the girls lay on the bed - belly-to-belly - with the piglets snuggled between them - aw  :love: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 08:46:26 am »
What a shame. :( Still, Harry's quids in  ;D

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 09:03:50 am »
Glad Harriet's Ok and love the description of porcine family bliss! Photo?

Sandy

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 10:58:01 am »
These things are very sad but happen and we learn, such a nice little photo oppertunity with piggy pleasure!!!!! We should all have cameras on our heads and a button attatched to our hand, like a ring, so we can instantly capture these wonderful moments....!!! :)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 11:05:26 am »
Awww, so sorry - but it was an accident and accidents do happen.  We live and learn.   And Harry is no doubt enjoying a massive amount of grub from Mum.  ;D
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 09:50:05 pm »
:(  sad about the little ones....

but welcome to the world to the others :)

photos please!
and best wishes to Harry - pig
Little Blue

princesspiggy

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 12:14:03 am »
 thats really bad luck, sorry  :( :(

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 07:06:16 pm »
Thanks everyone  :bouquet: I think the worst thing was handing them over to Greyhills for "disposal"  :( :'(

They're all doing really well & wee Harry is starting to romp around their little paddock with Louise's 4 now - tho struggling to keep-up with them - comical to see his tiny legs go  ;D

I would love to post some photos - but still have no idea how to get them small enough  :dunce: :-[  Maybe Karen will be kind enough to do it for me (again  ::) ) hint, hint  ;)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 11:43:05 am »
If it helps we put bricks in the bottom of water troughs so if they do fall in they can scrabble back out, as they grow we remove the bricks and thats when they decide to sit in them anyway to get cool!!!! ;D
Mandy  :pig:

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Trefriw, near Llanrwst, Conwy
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 01:25:38 pm »
Beewyched - that's awful poor you I would have been devestated :-(

Re pictures - you need to use photobucket - am sure there are others too - upload your photos then go to them and a list will appear click on the IMG link and post it here and your photos will appear :-) x

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 03:59:44 pm »
So So Sorry to hear about your poor little piglets, we have had our fare share of piglet sadness, Mercedes gave birth to 7 her first litter then she died and we have lost 5 of the piglets, when she was nursing them I did keep the water outside the Ark just in case of that happening as they always give birth at the most inconvenient of times, like your little survivor we have 2 little porkers that are being spoilt rotten they may be 2 keepers.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 08:52:16 pm »
Thanks for all your supportive comments  :bouquet:

Oh Barrett, I thought we were having a bad time of it - I can't imagine what it must have been like for you losing mum as well.  Guess the 2 survivors are keeping you busy!  Have you managed to get them to take a bottle or are they lapping?

:love: :pig: :love:

Ps. Leri - I still can't work-out the photo thing - have to get my OH to size the photos for me properly  :-[

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS