Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Disappointing hatch :-(  (Read 1826 times)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
Disappointing hatch :-(
« on: May 07, 2011, 05:40:31 pm »
I had 24 eggs in the inccy and only 11 chicks have made it. 3 died in shells as humidity went awry 2 days before hatch grrr.. And 10 infertile eggs. I had 6 from 1 seller on eBay and not 1 was fertile!
Still 12 under 2 broodies so fingers crossed for those in a few days.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Disappointing hatch :-(
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 07:59:03 pm »
it soooo frustrating isn't it!
we had 24 eggs in, 8 hatched....

one died within a week, then three more were taken by a rat from the outside pen.

good luck for your broodied ones (is that a word?!)
Little Blue

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 09:44:52 pm »
That seems to be about the average hatch rate for eggs that have been through the post. It is a bit frustrating.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 10:11:07 pm »
It is frustrating. I did have 11 fertile ones out of 12 from one seller so I've ordered some more from them. Going to put another 24 in next week.

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 01:18:10 pm »
thats the bit i dont understand with posted eggs, if they have all been through the same handling and treatment etc surely the fertility would b disrupted in all of them?   ???

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 04:02:42 pm »
I always assume fifty percent success rate, seems to be about right. I bought fifty guinea fowl eggs to hatch for a friend, looks like 24 are going to hatch - due on friday. He asked me for up to twenty, so I should be about right. The only problem is what to charge him as I had to buy fifty eggs!

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 04:31:55 pm »
I just had 11 ducklings hatch out of 18, humidity went a bit low so the first one died half way out of its shell, the membrane was stuck over its eyes so I could even help.  Duckling no 11 had a leg back and could stand so it had to be despatched but 10 healthy duckies, 5 white campbell (would have been 100% hatch if the membrane one had made it) and 5 khaki campbell, would have been 50% hatch if disabled one had been healthy, still, am happy with that.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 07:38:09 pm »
My experience with posted eggs is not that they don't start developing at all, but that they seem to 'stop' or fail to hatch more often than eggs gathered here. I have had some very good ones through the post and some, from very famous breeders  ::) where over half weren't fertile, let alone continued to develop.  ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS