Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sore teats  (Read 2494 times)

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
Sore teats
« on: May 03, 2011, 06:43:18 pm »
I've noticed today that one mum of triplets has cuts round her teats presumably where the battling triplets are trying to hang on when they get the teat!  what can I put on it that won't taste vile to the kids (who are now 3 weeks old and having a bit of concentrate too) - or perhaps that is a good thing?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Sore teats
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 09:30:29 pm »
You can get something called Dermasol which is a cream very good for getting animals to mend - we found it sold for horses.
It has a bit of a chemically taste though, but no doubt the kids will lick it off!

Watch out for mastitis - this is how it happens in ewes at least - they get cuts on their teats 'cos of over-enthusiastic lambs, the bacteria get in and then you end up with 'black bag'. Not good  :P

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 10:36:47 am »
I've put her and one kid in a pen for a couple of hours and am going to try to rotate the kids if they don't moan too much - so far so good.  I also put a little sudocream on the sore bit, which is not as sore as I thought, more scabby as if healing up.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 08:30:41 pm »
My mother used to use stuff sold in the chemists for human mothers with sore nipples from breast feeding (sorry can't remember what it was called though).  Agree with JK - watch-out for mastitis, it can be picked-up even if she's on the cleanest of bedding.

If it gets too bad you may have to keep the kids off her for a few days & hand strip her, bottle feeding it back to the kids - but you'll need ear-plugs in the meantime  ;)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 10:59:46 pm »
Sudocream was quite a good choice- might not be great for the kids, but it's not going to do much harm. Agree with Beewyched- there's bound to be something available for cracked nipples for humans, so that would be great. Rotating the kids is another good idea- but be sure that by this she isn't just getting pestered all the time. Ie- one kid goes in, has a sook, goes back for a few more sooks, you take that one out, give her another one, who starts looking for her drink.....Etc etc.

Beth

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 09:27:03 am »
The kids didn't seem too bothered by being separated for a few hours yesterday, I might try her alone for an hour or two after feeding today. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS