Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Dorset!  (Read 2382 times)

Miriam

• Joined Jan 2009
Hello from Dorset!
« on: January 23, 2009, 02:14:25 pm »
Hi,
My name's Miriam and with my hubby we have a very tiny smallholding with 8 chickens, 2 breeding sows and a cat! 

We grow lots of our own veg and have a small orchard, so we attempt cider making too.

The pigs are the real passion and we've been breeding Oxford Sandy & Blacks for 3 years, to fatten up pork and baconers for ourselves and friends.  This year the girls didn't get in-pig which is disappointing, but the silver-lining is that we're getting in some weaners of different breeds - which will be new and exciting.

We've produced some lovely serrano type ham this year too, and it's really easy to do so I would highly recommend it.

I look forward to sharing piggy info with you!

cheers,
:)

HappyHippy

Re: Hello from Dorset!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 06:07:17 pm »
Hello from Scotland,

Welcome to the forum. I'm looking forward to finding out all about OSB's from you having only experienced Saddlebacks (lovely calm creatures) and Tamworths (totally nuts, in my opinion) I really want to get some more and think OSB's seem to be a placid breed and good when it comes to farrowing time - I'm hoping you'll be able to give a better insight than I've managed to gleen from my books!

Karen  :pig:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 08:23:28 am »
Hi from Brittany.  We have pigs, ducks, chickens and a potential micro veggie patch.  Loads of cider apple trees which we have inherited, not sure about making our own though.  Pigs love the apples.

HM

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 08:45:27 pm »
Hi and welcome.

Tammies - mad? Never.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS