Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fly strike update  (Read 9631 times)

MaxiB

• Joined May 2021
Fly strike update
« on: October 28, 2023, 10:01:57 pm »
After my previous post on fly strike I called the vet out as my wether was going down hill fast…. She gave him an antibiotic and metacam for the pain, was touch and go that night…. Really thought we were going to lose him but he survived… we are having to wash him in diluted hibiscrub and spray with purple septic spray. We also set up an infra red lamp to keep him warm.

He’s now got this tough dry area where the maggots were eating him which has now healed ….is he likely to lose his fleece and Will maggot oil help keep the skin soft? or something else?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Fly strike update
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2023, 10:23:50 pm »
It's so good to hear he's on the mend  :hugsheep: .  Fly strike is such a hateful attack on an animal so for me I am happy to use chemicals to prevent it where I might use an alternative for something more minor.  Those rustling maggots  :tired: .  Poor chap!  At this time of year no one is really expecting fly strike and I am so pleased you found it and got it treated  :love:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bishybarneybee

• Joined Apr 2022
Re: Fly strike update
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2023, 08:39:36 am »
If it's any help acouple of our ewes got fly strike a few months ago after being attacked and bitten by a dog. After treating they both had bald leathery spots and someone on here recommended I use Sudacrem. It is also an antiseptic cream.

It worked a treat and their fleeces have now regrown to cover so you wouldn't know they had been affected to look at them today.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS