Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weaning - how long  (Read 2036 times)

JFW67

• Joined Apr 2020
  • Co. Derry
    • Valkyrie Craft: Handmade Canoes and Kayaks
Weaning - how long
« on: July 14, 2022, 09:21:45 pm »
Hi All,

I have separated my lambs from the ewes.
They are in sight in adjacent fields and all of them seem pretty happy with the situation.

How long do they need apart to be fully weaned?

Mistakes teach best.  😳🙄😉

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Weaning - how long
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 10:07:24 am »
2-3weeks should be fine

JFW67

• Joined Apr 2020
  • Co. Derry
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 03:24:42 pm »
2-3weeks should be fine

Thank you.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 04:59:11 pm »
I wouldn’t put them back together for at least 6 weeks though. I’ve had ewes separated for a month that when put back together will let their lambs suck.

JFW67

• Joined Apr 2020
  • Co. Derry
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2022, 11:07:21 pm »
Hi Twizzel

I wouldn’t put them back together for at least 6 weeks though. I’ve had ewes separated for a month that when put back together will let their lambs suck.

After that period off does the ewe begin producing enough milk to be significant?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2022, 12:29:52 pm »
Hi Twizzel

After that period off does the ewe begin producing enough milk to be significant?

Probably not, but I wean my ewes to give them a break to regain body condition before tupping. That’s never going to happen unless they stop milking. They don’t need to feed lambs anymore, and the lambs need to learn to live without them! My ewes go up to a different farm after drying off. The lambs stay at home, then we swap them around at tupping.

Or the alternative is you just leave all the ewes and lambs together and naturally wean. But experience tells me they need separating, to give the ewes a break.

JFW67

• Joined Apr 2020
  • Co. Derry
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2022, 07:18:19 pm »

Probably not, but I wean my ewes to give them a break to regain body condition before tupping. That’s never going to happen unless they stop milking. They don’t need to feed lambs anymore, and the lambs need to learn to live without them! My ewes go up to a different farm after drying off. The lambs stay at home, then we swap them around at tupping.

Or the alternative is you just leave all the ewes and lambs together and naturally wean. But experience tells me they need separating, to give the ewes a break.
[/quote]Or the alternative is you just leave all the ewes and lambs together and naturally wean. But experience tells me they need separating, to give the ewes a break.
[/quote]

Very useful.  My main issue is stocking enough in summer to control the grass growth and reducing to the right level in autumn to have grass to feed the dam ewes through the winter.   

I currently have 8 breeding ewes and a ram.
Two wethers lambs I aim to keep and another 9 lambs, (3 rams and 6 ewes)
The intention was to have the 8 ewes, ram and wethers as the permanent stock and to sell off lambs when it is the right point to leave enough grazing for the winter with haylege and some nuts in the new year.

This is the first year so lots of learning going on!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 07:21:10 pm by JFW67 »

JFW67

• Joined Apr 2020
  • Co. Derry
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2022, 07:21:32 pm »

Very useful.  My main issue is stocking enough in summer to control the grass growth and reducing to the right level in autumn to have grass to feed the dam ewes through the winter.   

I currently have 8 breeding ewes and a ram.
Two wethers lambs I aim to keep and another 9 lambs, (3 rams and 6 ewes)
The intention was to have the 8 ewes, ram and wethers as the permanent stock and to sell off lambs when it is the right point to leave enough grazing for the winter with haylege and some nuts in the new year.

This is the first year so lots of learning going on!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS