Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping boars query??  (Read 2350 times)

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Keeping boars query??
« on: November 09, 2010, 09:46:23 am »
I currently have 2 boars that are kept in separate but adjoining paddocks, I plan to now bring them all in to our winter pig pens but it would mean keeping the boars dside by side, the fence is very strong and secure and approx 4' high, will they be ok or will they try to kill eachother?? this would be closer than their current arrangement! thanks :pig:

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Re: Keeping boars query??
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 10:10:05 am »
What type of partition is it ?Are they adult boars? Will there be many females in aswell which are likely to come into season ? If they can't see each other it would be better but i would keep them physically as far apart as was possible ideally one each end of your housing. Is there no possibilty of them wintering outside in similar arrangement to what they have now outside? Do you normally overwinter indoors are these fellas used to this or will this be their first time in?

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 10:20:59 am »
Thanks Gavo, its post and rail/ stock fencing and galvanised gate that partitions them. The eldest boar is 2 yrs old the little fella is 7 myhs old. The elder boar came in for the winter last year. they each have a sow in with them which should both be in pig ( although 1 may not be). The elder boar will hopefully be sold soon so not a long term problem. Its just our ground is heavy clay and already shot, we planned this new piggery at the end of our barn so they have block built arks with access to a largish run.

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 12:19:22 pm »
Having a girl to keep them company should help a bit Dixie  ;)
But be prepared for LOTS of scent marking up and down the fence between them and a fair bit of gum chomping  ::)

I'm having the same musical pen scenario - 2 seperate lots of weaners, both with boars (unrelated) who will be 6 months in February, so the young boars will need to come out and a boar and in-pig sow who's due to farrow on the 2nd of Feb  :o
I'm hoping for an early winter, so I can get them back into the fields before all this happens  ;)

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 02:25:25 pm »
The young fella shouldn't be such a problem but the older fella if he gets hold of a young boar will tear lumps out of him literally! Is it possible to run a strand of electric fence along each side of their boundary? It will just help them to each keep their distance from one another.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 07:13:16 pm »
Thanks all, right we have now moved them all into their new homes! So far so good, Rodney the older boar has taken no notice of Trigger the little fella so fingers crossed! I dont think he is boary enough yet?? we are going to run a strand of electric each side just in case anyway, once I have sussed out how to get pics off my new phone I will show you the set up! :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS