Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pregnant Ewe Lame - What shall we do?  (Read 1393 times)

OutdoorseaGem

• Joined Sep 2018
    • Brownstone Orchard Blog
Pregnant Ewe Lame - What shall we do?
« on: September 07, 2018, 08:36:54 pm »
Hi everyone,

We've had 3 pregnant ewes dropped off this week and this evening I've been in and one of the ewes is holding her right back leg in the air, I've tried to have a look and feel down the leg and she keeps snatching it away when I press on it, I can't initially see anything in her hoof.
Glad she is actually the tamest out of all 3 but it's still early days and they're still getting used to me, lambs aren't due until early December.

Any advice would be greatfully received,
Gemma

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Pregnant Ewe Lame - What shall we do?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 12:15:45 pm »
Best to get vet out , she may have damaged something in the move  or a  recognised  foot infection and treatment is different

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 07:47:42 pm »
How long have you had her and I assume she's been fine until today?

I'd leave it for 24-48hrs and see if there is any change, if there isn't I'd catch her and have a really good look. As she's only 2 months pregnant I wouldn't have any hesitation about tipping her over.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 09:40:20 pm »
If you have a second person to help, it may be easiest to catch her, put a rope halter on her and tie her up with one person holding her at the head end to keep her steady (but the rope halter is an additional measure and helps if you have to do it on your own) then have a good look by lifting her leg rather than turning her onto her bum. It could be many things though - from foot rot/scald to laminitis, or a more serious broken bone/strained leg from the move… Scald is quite possible if she has moved onto a different holding - how tall is your grass?  I would get a vet to have a look at it, especially if you are fairly new to sheep.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 10:59:28 pm »
One wee tip - if you try to look at her when she's standing up, she'll kick less if you can support her weight with your knee before you pick up that foot. It's easier said than done, and easier done than explained of course, but it might be worth a try.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS