Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking for ducks  (Read 5937 times)

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
Looking for ducks
« on: October 04, 2010, 09:21:05 pm »
I am interiested in adding ducks to the fold- my wee girl is always on about getting ducks- now that I've got a spare hen house I have no reason not to get some. I was thinking about having 3 or 4. Possibly a few girls and a drake. What d oyou recommend- do they need any different type of food to the chooks and can they live in harmoy with my hens. Any advice appreciated.

Possibly the most stupid question ever- d othey need a pond of do they benefit from having a small pond.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Re: Looking for ducks
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 10:04:29 pm »
My guys will NOT be getting a pond if i get my way, the pond will not be easy to clean out, it will puddle up quickly, instead a couple of fertiliser buckets set into the ground.

i am going to be running 1drake and 2 girls along side the hens, at the moment my boy is on growers pellets and will be fed on them for the next couple of weeks or so.

So far ducks are more social then hens,

hope this is a bit of help

good luck in finding them

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 10:10:44 pm »
All ducks like a pond to swim, or at least have a bath and splash in, but they don't necessarily need to have one.  If it is a small pond they will make it very dirty very quickly, so its often best to get one you can empty out and refill.  Large breeds need water for successful mating, but smaller ones can generally manage without.  If they do not have a pond make sure the water is deep enough for them to wash their eyes and beaks in.

If you haven't kept ducks before you will be surprised at how much mess they can make, but they are interesting to keep and fun to watch, and they should keep a smallish garden free of slugs, though they will eat some of your plants such as lettuce and hostas to name a couple.

Khaki Campbell were specifically bred to be run with chickens, so they are a bit cleaner, and do not need swimming water.  They lay prolifically, and for  some years held the record for eggs laid per year.  Duck eggs are excellent for cooking, and you either like or dislike them for eating - I personally don't like them to eat, though will cook with them.

I keep giant Rouen, which I like because they are quieter than most ducks (call ducks and some of the smaller breeds of ducks can quack incessantly)  They are good foragers, and can be very friendly and full of character if you spend time with them.  But there are many varieties to try, all with their different qualities.

All the best
Sue
Dark Brown Eggs
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 11:08:32 pm »
I have a Swedish blue drake and a khaki campbell duck.  I am in the process of hatching 6 of their eggs, but if any of them turn out to be drakes I will have to sell them - pity you are so far away, Declan, I'd have given youa  couple to start you off.  If you go for KCs the drakes are very demanding on the females. The recommended rate is 10 females to a drake. ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 07:45:55 am »
All as said,some ducks are ok with a splash pool ,some need 'proper' water .My runners are very clean in the house and dont swim like the others just bathe. I would not use buckets though as if they cant get out it is surprising how quick a duck can drown through exhaustion!( learned the hard way after finding a missing duck in a bucket!).An old paddling pool with a rock step out is a good substitute for smaller ducks.Larger meat breeds I would definately only have with a good water source available

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 11:01:17 am »
I bought a children's paddling pond from focus this year for a tenner - it's a hard plastic one this time, tried the blow up ones and they were down more than up.  really easy to tip up, hose down and refill and they love it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 11:42:11 am »
This is only my opinion and in my experience:

1) I prefer ducks to have a small area to swim in, but if not poss, a child's plastic paddling pool will suffice - they must be able to dunk their heads whatever water they have. I put a few breeze blocks around the outside to help them get in, and some large flat stones inside to help them get out. I find the kiddies shell shaped pools works well (they usually come in two pieces - the top exactly the same as the bottom). These are deep enough for a few Aylesburys to have a good time in, splashing about, but not too deep. I would never use buckets or tubs. Inflatable type paddling pools not suitable.

2) Ducks are mucky - they will make the whole area muddy and soggy underfoot. Move the water containers frequently to help the area drain and dry.

3) Remember ducklings not hatched under mum will not have all the natural oils in their down that ducklings hatched naturally would. Do not put ducklings into water because 'they'll swim, it's a duck'. Nope, they'll get lower in the water and could find themselves in trouble.

4) Duck food is available in granule (pellet) form from feed merchants. Normally in 20 / 25kg bags. I find this gives them a good balanced diet.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 11:49:17 am »
...had to continue this in two posts:

5) Housing. Important - ducks need ventilation.

6) Depends on breed but usually not less than 4 ducks with a drake. Don't get more than one drake, the poor girls will suffer from their amorous attentions.

7) They will be fine with hens but need space - are they free ranging? Remember fox loves a lunchtime snack just as much as breakfast or supper.

Hope this helps, any more questions, ask away.

:&>   :wave:

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 11:56:49 am »
Oh, and duck eggs not suitable for cake making, they are too dense.

:&>

Sorry, off topic but 'darkbrowneggs' - love the pic - wish I had some of those chickies to hatch. What breed?

Power Poultry

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Kings Lynn Norfolk
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 01:40:48 pm »
I find duck eggs great for cakes always rise really well????

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 07:43:41 pm »

:&>

Sorry, off topic but 'darkbrowneggs' - love the pic - wish I had some of those chickies to hatch. What breed?

Many thanks for the compliment - they are from my traditional English Cuckoo Marans, check out my site for photos of the birds and more egg piccies, (click the link to my site at the bottom of this post)

All the best
Sue
Dark Brown Eggs
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 07:45:59 pm by darkbrowneggs »
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 10:33:02 pm »
Duck eggs are great for baking cakes we have many people come just to get them for baking and several chefs get them for the same purpose and swear by them.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 12:47:52 am »
Duck eggs are great for baking cakes we have many people come just to get them for baking and several chefs get them for the same purpose and swear by them.
Yup, same here.  Never heard of them making cakes too dense and never experienced that either.

Henstock

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 04:12:50 am »
Muscovies are a large but quiet breed, they are very sociable and mix well with other duck species, geese and hens.
They do need a pool at least a foot deep, unlike my runners who are happy to paddle in shallow water but have a bucket for washing eyes and nostrils!!!
It just so happens I have 5 chocolate muscovy ducklings available if you're interested, PM me!!!

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 09:17:20 am »

As said, only my opinion and in my experience.

:&>   :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS