Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: limping chick  (Read 2218 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
limping chick
« on: September 25, 2010, 08:54:29 pm »
I noticed one of the babies (2 weeks old) was spending more time lying down and resting than the other, yesterday a limp was getting  obvious. I picked it up today and I'm not sure if the foot is just deformed or if there is a wound of some kind on the top, no fresh bleeding. Anyone got experience to share?? :chook: :&>

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Re: limping chick
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 09:13:09 pm »
Here's the picture, it certainly looks like a bruise now. don't think anything is broken. She's not been eating much today. The white stuff is antiseptic cream... :chook: :&>

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 09:45:40 pm »
I think all you can do is see how it goes. Trouble is with young chicks is that they have to carry an ever increasing weight load. I have never known in all the chicks I have had  raised a bad legged one survive. It is survival of the fittest,if it is only a knock and bruise it should pull through if it stays it will deteriorate  badly.Sorry but my experience, see how it goes , all you can do.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 10:06:54 pm »
dont know what it is Kerstin, but dont think it is probably in the best place for healing.  can you put some arnica on so that if it is bruised, it should aid quicker recovery?

sheardale

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Dollar, Clacks, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 10:12:21 pm »
Kerstin, how is the chick now
Helen

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 10:13:40 am »
Just to let you know that she has recovered almost completely! There is still a lump visible on the joint but it probably was only a bad bruise.  :chook: :&> :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS