Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sick Ducks...what next!?  (Read 1626 times)

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
Sick Ducks...what next!?
« on: June 06, 2011, 06:08:17 pm »
Hello everyone,

for all those lovely people who have read/replied to my recent post (my poor new duck) you'll be astounded to hear my rubbish luck has continued and I have 5 sick ducks on my hands. Started on Saturday afternoon when they were all in their 'pen within the pen' area - half put themselves to bed which they have NEVER done before. Sunday they were slow to come out in the morning but all got out and mostly laid down all day. Today and tonight they are pretty poorly, they haven't moved/eaten/drank all day and though my drake can walk he's pooing green poo everywhere!

Phoned vet who thinks it's a bug in the area but need to take them in to vets tomorrow morning - as long as they survive the night that is. :-(

Mx
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

It-needed-a-home

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
  • Zeus (our saxony duck)
Re: Sick Ducks...what next!?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 06:20:50 pm »
Dont mean to sound harsh but the reality is if they are that ill they probly wont make it through the night where did you get them from ??

alot of problems like this are through inbreeding signs like laboured breathing and spazzims are all not very good

hope they pull through but be prepared for the worst

:cat: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :&> :&> :&> :&> :&> :farmer:
Well i have cut back and i still have to many !!!! Oh well just as well i love them !!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 07:42:17 pm »
Fingers crossed. Could be coccidiosis -ducks do get it en masse sometimes and having been stressed is a likely cause (the actual bug is everywhere). Good news is it's treatable. If your vet isn't a poultry vet they might try to get you to treat the ducks water - which is the standard treatment for chickens. Not a good plan for ducks, much better to inject them with something like Intradine. Faster, ensures an even dose and ducks make a mess of water in no time flat! Good luck, let us know how you get on  :-*

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 03:06:42 pm »
Hi all,

Jaykay, reckon you could be spot on...arrived down with the ducks to find waldo the drake dead - in  a pretty yukky way, blood, poo everywhere (nice) a bit panic stricken got them off to vets who basically confirms the infection and prepares me I might lose more... he thinks either one of the new birds has brought it in (though thankfully they don't seem too affected by this infection) or because we get Carrion in the house apparently they are huge transmitters of infection (and boy do we have a huge carrion problem)

So a shedload of jeyes fluid in the house and antibiotics injected through the beak later and so far all still living. The KC's seem fine but v stressed, my apricot IR has picked up from the injection and can now stand and is drinking though not eating, my white IR (the one I was most concerned with) isn't breathing so deeply and though she's too weak to stand she is drinking.

I've given them all a nice sponge wash and settled them down outside in fresh straw. Fingers crossed...

Mx
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com/
twitter - @southscouse

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 03:33:37 pm »
Sorry about Waldo   :'( Sounds like you've done a really good job of cleaning things up and making them comfortable. Fingers crossed they start to get better  :-*

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 10:30:31 pm »
Hi again, just a quick update. Poor Abigail my White IR was dead this morning and despite a rally yesterday poor Amelias looking bad. :-(

Potentially going to be left with just 2 Khaki Campbells. But not letting if deter me, living and learning and already spoken with my reputable duck man who's going to start me off again with new stock in around 4 weeks when they are ready. 1 drake (I must be mad) and 3 girls... Then going to hatch my own and feed them a medicated feed if poss - any recommendations of this or anything I can add to my ducks diet to promote good health let me know (u can leave comments on my blog http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com

Thanks everyone
Mx
twitter - @southscouse

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS