Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to get tablets into super-discerning collie  (Read 8799 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: How to get tablets into super-discerning collie
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2022, 06:56:46 pm »
I may be called cold-hearted, but reading through all this.... I know what I would do, as of yesterday. I think if we see any animal is in pain, then it must be in a LOT of pain, as they are all quite good at hiding it. And to only gain a few more months, maybe...

I personally feel that we should let them go while the going is still good enough to not make me regretting not having done it earlier...

Not heartless at all, this echoes my own thoughts, inclinations and feelings, Anke.  But when our vet, who knows Dottie and me well, says it isn't time yet, as it may not be cancer so we need to give it two weeks (with hefty pain relief) and see where we are then...

I have managed to find ways to sneak all the drugs into her now (*), so she is on the full whack and has been for 3 days.  She is more sleepy than usual, but is enjoying all the food treats she is getting (only some of which conceal pills), has been quite bouncy on some of her walks (although not all), and I am now walking her more gently, on level ground, and not giving her the opportunity to play with Jilly, so that if it's not cancer we are giving it a better chance of healing.  I will book her in to see the vet early next week. 

(*)  The cocodamol isn't as awful as the tramadol, and goes down without comment hidden in a lump of cheese or sausage in her normal meals.  I managed to sneak 2 half tramadols into her in pieces of sausage but then she got wise to that, so I had to revert to using the back-of-the-throat technique.  (Bought a pill popper, useless, didn't push the pill out of the jaws of the device.)  She had become more tolerant of that when it was bracketed by bits of roast chicken before and after.  (Apparently moist roast chicken wipes your memory of all unpleasantness when you are a Dot.)  But today I picked up the "pill pockets" - treats into which you bury the pill and then remould the treat around it - which the local pet shop had got in for me.  I wasn't hopeful, I thought the size of them was such that she'd chew (and any smaller and they wouldn't fully encase the pill), so then she would detect the pill, but to my surprise, it went down without comment in between pieces of chicken.  So, :fc:, I should not have to shove my hands in her mouth any more. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2022, 12:32:52 pm »
That's good to hear  :)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2022, 01:52:05 pm »
She deteriorated, wasn't happy putting weight on it at all, so yesterday we gave her antibiotics in case it's an infection, and did a biopsy.  Biopsy results came in this morning, and I am currently digging a hole for her and a tree.   :'(   Run free, my lovely girl, see you on the other side.   :love: :dog:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2022, 02:31:29 pm »
She deteriorated, wasn't happy putting weight on it at all, so yesterday we gave her antibiotics in case it's an infection, and did a biopsy.  Biopsy results came in this morning, and I am currently digging a hole for her and a tree.   :'(   Run free, my lovely girl, see you on the other side.   :love: :dog:

I am so sorry Sally.  :hug:

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2022, 02:47:46 pm »
 :hug:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2022, 03:29:34 pm »
 :hug:  That's when you know how much you love an animal - you know the right time
run free Dot - rainbow bridge is calling
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2022, 09:55:45 pm »
 :hug: :dog: :hug: :'(  JJ
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2022, 10:52:45 am »
Run free.  14 years is not a bad innings.

Miss a week or two of forum and so late to send my condolences.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2022, 02:58:49 pm »
Thank you everyone, for the advice and support (and tough love too ;)) before and for the kindness and understanding after  :hug:

I had been letting the folks here know that I won't want to talk about it, and just a "sorry for your loss" and get on with things, please, and all the adults have respected that.  But the kids ...  ::)  However, they are so open and matter-of-fact about it all that in fact it's been quite cathartic, being able to talk about it the same way, openly and matter-of-fact. 

Today Ivy, who's 10, came round with a card she had made, and a flower.

The card has on the front a really rather accurate artwork of Dot and reads,

"Dot's good byes
I love you but I know you are a bit funny with kids."

and inside,

"To Sally
I'm so sorry.  There's nothing I can do but I can say my goodbyes.
Goodbye Dot.  I miss you, Ivy xxx"

I dunno, these kids.  Makes you almost think perhaps the human race isn't doomed...   :love:  :hug:

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2022, 12:55:37 pm »
So sorry  :hug:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS