Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Strawberry foot rot  (Read 10856 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Strawberry foot rot
« on: November 29, 2014, 09:08:21 pm »
One of my ewes has had this strawberry foot rot ( which I understand is caused by  dermatophilus bacteria and the orf virus) for nearly 13 weeks now. I've read that it is very difficult to get rid of and I'm certainly finding that. She's had various  injections from the vet and he did originally say that if it didn't respond he would cauterise it. I just wondered if anyone else had had this done to their sheep and if it was successful? Also what does it actually entail? The strawberry footrot is at the back of her hoof - on her heel. I wonder will she need a general anaesthetic or a local one? Would she need to be kept in? So many questions - sorry.   
4 pet sheep

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Strawberry foot rot
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 09:28:37 am »
Vet knows best? Surely not!

I have cut off a few of these, they bleed like stink, tbh I don't use cautery as either you leave unhealthy tissue or you burn healthy tissue, I cut it and the wall around the root away and put a serious pressure bandage on the stump of the strawberry. Generally I give a bandage change after a few days and generally it works first time. The growth is not well innervated, just tip, nip and bandage hard while getting covered in blood (bigger growth bigger blood supply) you could give a sedative if the farmer was unable to hold sheepy still.   

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 12:12:37 pm »
How would one tell the difference between strawberry footrot and a granuloma, Me?  And would the treatment differ for a granuloma?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 01:18:19 pm »
"One" had assumed it was a strawberry foot (granuloma) Sally! So ignore all Ive said if it is infact not!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 01:22:17 pm by Me »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 01:47:47 pm »
I did wonder, 'Me'! 

Strawberry footrot

Granuloma (also sometimes called 'strawberry foot', just to make the confusion even more so), usually caused by over-zealous paring.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 01:50:45 pm »
'cauterise' means to burn, either using heat or a caustic substance, waterbuffalofarmer. 

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 11:15:56 pm »
Thanks for all the replies. I looked at the links you'd put on your post Sally. The 'strawberry foot rot' my ewe has is nothing like that shown. It's at the back of her heel and is just slightly swollen, black 'pads' - it was a bit sore originally but since I've been putting sudacreme on it - it seems to have improved a bit. It doesn't bleed even if she's been itching at it - it just gets a bit sore. I certainly haven't been clipping her feet too much and as I say it's not on her hoof. So I wonder if it is strawberry foot rot?   
4 pet sheep

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 09:54:55 am »
Do you have a photo?  Could she have injured that area and it's bruised, or got a thorn in it which is gradually growing out?

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 10:18:17 am »
I have a photo of it when I first called the vet out - but I've tried to put it on this post but it won't let me! Sorry. I think the photo is too big or something?
4 pet sheep

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 12:12:24 pm »
If you look in Forum tips there's a post about reducing the size of pics so they can be posted

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 12:25:16 pm »
if all else fails you can email picture to me at david@tas.re and i will add it to the thread for you!

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 11:24:38 pm »
I hope I've managed to put the photo on this time following Sally's tip. This is the back of her heel when it was at its worst. It's nothing like this now ,,, the redness has gone and it's not as swollen as it is on the photo. The bit that is swollen is now black and looks a bit like the pad of a dog. Still not sure that photo is there! Couldn't see it on the preview! Anyway I'll post it and see what happens! Sorry if it's not there! Thanks for your offer Bloomer 
4 pet sheep

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 12:52:50 am »
Yes, the pic is there - well done.

It does look very similar to the Merck pic of strawberry footrot to me, but I've never seen it in the flesh.

If it's receding / improving, then I guess they don't want to use more a/bs, so perhaps the pain relief isn't such a bad plan.  But again, I've no experience of this one.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 06:17:44 pm »
 Your picture shows a mild case of sfr , iv'e only seen maybe 4 cases and all  much worse , you can see the orf  scabs and since you say it is now not red ,scabby, swollen or bleeding then well done you've cured her  :trophy:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS