Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Paedo Dog!  (Read 2193 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
Paedo Dog!
« on: June 15, 2015, 07:11:40 am »
Luca is my medium blindy who doesn't like other dogs.  He spends his life barking at Misty and Tilly, being they are both "zoomies".... Last couple of days I noticed he has amorous intentions towards Tilly! She is 15 weeks old, he is neutered but he is following her (still barking) and this morning, as I looked around suspiciously at the moments peace that had descended on the chaos, I saw him on her (sideways!) jiggling his stuff for all it was worth.

He isn't in danger of hurting her size wise and he is neutered.... but should I actively discourage this?  Part of me thinks it is dominance behaviour.  I have also seen him...... TRY TO PLAY WITH HER... he is old and a blindy but he definitely was trying to get into a game with her the other day.

I should say, Luca also has form for humping my cat Jasper....
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 07:14:07 am by Kitchen Cottage »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Paedo Dog!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 10:31:52 am »
If Tilly doesn't mind and Luca's enjoying himself...  ;) :D

When you say he is neutered... you are certain that both testicles aren't there?  My dog looked castrated but both testicles were internal, and had to be removed by operation.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 11:27:35 am »
My neutered terrier loves humping his sister (not a blood relative  :roflanim: but what would it matter if she was).  This is what dogs do.  Lucy hates it, so he stops when she growls, but not if I tell him to stop.  Rip is particularly fond of humping her when she's just had a bath  ::)

I think it's just a sign Luca loves Tilly, as well as wanting to play with her.  Lovely he has a friend  :dog: :dog: and it beats barking at her.  I don't feel you should try to stop him.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 12:09:59 pm »
If Tilly doesn't mind and Luca's enjoying himself...  ;) :D

When you say he is neutered... you are certain that both testicles aren't there?  My dog looked castrated but both testicles were internal, and had to be removed by operation.

*gulps* well he is quite a ...forceful.... Bulgarian rescue and I'm not sure how I check whether his testicles are internal!! I suspect it's not immediately appealing to him, or me, to grab the latex and have a feel around up there (even if I knew what I was rooting for) !!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 04:08:53 pm »
You don't necessarily need to do an internal exam to find out if he does still have his testes.  If they're in the inguinal canal they'll be palpable, probably even visible, from the outside.

If he'll roll on his back for a tummy rub (yes, I know this is Luca, but maybe he's getting easier...), as he flops his legs apart, you'd see the testes in the belly cavity just above the inside thigh.

Sometimes they're held more deeply inside the abdomen, in which case I think the vet would do a scan to locate them.

If he does still have testes, but internal, he'll likely be infertile as the testes will be too warm.  But in a cold snap in winter...  :o.  And the other thing is that internal testes are way more likely to turn cancerous, so vets generally like to get 'em whipped out.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 04:52:19 pm »
I think I would discourage it.  Tilly is probably not able to tell him off yet but may well do as she gets older. I don't think that it is behaviour that I would want him getting into a habit of. They can get pretty carried away when 'humping' and my fear would be that it could cause problems for you and your other pack members in the future  ..... dominance, aggression, fights breaking out. Depends on his temperament I suppose but given his background  :thinking:

Attempts to play with her in other ways, I would really praise ..... how lovely and good for him in so many ways if he could develop a friendship with her.  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS