Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Piggies about to be booked in!!  (Read 2718 times)

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
Piggies about to be booked in!!
« on: July 20, 2010, 01:26:04 pm »
My first piggies are about to be booked in for the final journey, they have been an absolute pleasure and hard though it is they were always destined for the plate!
I can probably find out from my butcher the price of my pork but, is there somewhere that people use as a reference?? I have no idea what the price of them would be if I sold some of it. A 'pig expert' friend says they are about 60kgs but he has not had pigs for a few years and does not know what todays market price for them is, can anyone give me a rough idea so that I get a fair price for my pork.

Thanks
Dawn

supersean

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Piggies about to be booked in!!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 03:08:47 pm »
best thing to do is check a few web sites selling home reared pork, and try also to figure out what they cost you, id imagine £6-7  for pork maybe 7-8 for bacon, maybe more

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 05:32:00 pm »
Whatever dont undersell, because when you run out you will be buying pork at premium prices (as you will never be able to tolerate supermarket pork again) whilst all the people who bought cheap from you are still eating theirs./yours

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 09:41:54 pm »
2 of our 4 are due to go next Monday - I did a recce visit to the abattoir to make sure of the route and find out about all the paperwork etc.
I'm a bit freaked out about making sure that their final day and journey doesn't make a mockery of the whole experience of owning them and giving them a good quality of life. I've really enjoyed the whole thing and love giving them showers and treats etc etc.  I don't want to blow it all by stressing them out with the trailer loading, separating 2 from the 4 of them and then the journey itself.
We've put the open trailer in the field with the pigs so that they are now accustomed to it (they've eaten one of the trailer lights....!) Anyway hopefully it will all go ok - the other 2 will be going the week after.

Tish

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 10:03:44 pm »
We are lucky our local abbatoir is in the next town about 10 mins away!! Have used it before for the lambs and my butcher picks up the carcasses and he is only 5 mins away so food miles are minimal! I had heard tales of not getting your own pigs back but we were satisfied that we had the correct lambs so I dont have any worries> Looking forward to tasting home reared pork if it is a good as the lamb we are in for a treat.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 09:39:22 am »
If you slap mark them before sending off just check the slap mark number before driving away with the carcasses.  It will be fine on the day, dont worry.  Remember as long as you are calm they will be quite happy.  Its if they pick up that you are worried or upset that they may become stressed.

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 12:24:11 pm »
I took our first two pigs on their final journey on Monday so I do sympathize, it was something I was dreaded but the pigs were calm and stress free as we had done all paperwork and checked the route out etc before to make sure we were calm! Around here in shropshire a local pig farmer sells sausages for £8.80 per kg and £11 per kg for bacon, going up to £11.50 per kg for fillets!  I agree though not to under sell, the product will be worth it
Good luck

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 01:44:13 pm »
We also took our first 2 piggies on Mon and after some brief practicing over the weekend to get them in the trailer and me being able to reverse the trailer lol can say it was fully worth it come Mon am we were loaded, there and unloaded in 40 mins no obvious stress for the piggies so this made us feel much better. lets hope it always goes this well, we collect our pork tmw and I just know it will be the best ever.  :pig: Good luck selling yours I too am not sure about costings tho sorry
Rob & Manda :)

supersean

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 01:54:56 pm »
11kg is def not underselling thats a good price, ;D

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 07:02:12 pm »
Thanks for the replies, just found out that the chap who takes them for us cant do it for another month :( so got all geared up for nothing, ah well they get a reprive for a month.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS