Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Collar for Jack Russell Puppy  (Read 4443 times)

Redtiftaf

• Joined Nov 2011
Collar for Jack Russell Puppy
« on: June 15, 2013, 10:40:56 pm »
H - We are due to pick up our jack russell puppy in a few weeks but I cannot find a collar which is likely to be small enough to fit round her neck without tripping the poor wee thing up.   The smallest I can find start at 20cm.  Any help would be appreciated. :fc:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Collar for Jack Russell Puppy
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 10:54:03 pm »
There are lots of puppy collars about. If you cannot find any then a cat collar is just as good to get it accustomed to wearing one. It will soon grow out of the collar whichever you choose  :D

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 11:03:53 pm »
I had the same problem as I have a small type JR. I used a soft cat collar- just a cheapy one from the supermarket as they tend to trash them anyway.

I waited till he was 6 months till I got him a nice one. I also taught him to walk on a Halti head collar so as not to jar his neck. He pulled like a train on a harness (now do Canicross and bike joring with him  :) ).
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 11:22:14 pm »
I use cat collars for our pups, not the flea treated ones though and take the bell off, but they are cheap and nice with elastic in so they release if they get stuck...and they soon grow out of collars :thumbsup:

Redtiftaf

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 10:10:09 pm »
Thanks for the advice  :thumbsup: , looks like a wee visit to the shops for a cat collar (and a load of other unnecessary things for her as all our dog things are for golder retriever size)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 10:13:48 pm »
we just bought a puppy collar and lead set from pet shop - and ebay -  and they fit no bother for our terrier pup.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 10:26:14 pm »
How exciting!  I would really get him on to a halti asap.  Wish I had done that with my JRT - he point blank refuses to go anywhere in a harness of any sort now.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 07:12:14 am »
We always find a harness is better for our JR's, when they are actually on the lead, and they are adjustable too

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS