Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When is Elderflower season ?  (Read 7430 times)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Re: When is Elderflower season ?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 06:20:43 pm »
Best start hanging on to my plastic milk bottles then ;D
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 07:32:45 pm »
I have kept a couple of bottles of cordial from last year as I find I always seem to want elderflower cordial most just before the flowers appear. I love to sit outside in the sun and have it with fizzy water.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

HappyHippy

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 09:08:08 am »
I am overrun with elder at the moment and have left it now to flower so I can have a go at cordial.  Noticed a few flowers coming this week but not fully out yet so I reckon you're about right on time and hopefully can post your experiences to guide me in my first attempts!

I should do nettles too, another crop I'm good at.. but there's something about them and elder that I've never managed to produce anything useful from, I think somewhere I'm convinced the complex structures of the elderflowers will harbour some creepy crawly thing I miss and end up consuming..

You'd not end up eating beasties, promise  :thumbsup: At the end of the steeping process (a week for nettles) you need to strain the cordail. I did it with a sieve, then a tea strainer  (in the absence of anything more suitable) but I'll be buying a jelly bag or muslin for the next attempt  ;) You should go for it, the nettle one is lovely  :yum:

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 02:38:27 pm »
Flowers are out in Midlothian

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Marjolie

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Arbroath
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 04:40:00 pm »
 :wave:
Hello from today's newbie! I just wanted to come in to say hello to you, I love that this site exists, now finally a chance to share and read things which are interesting.... (and I'm almost certain I won't get the 'rolling-eyeballs' whenever I want to talk about all the great stuff going on outside!)

I've just picked my first Elderflowers of the year here in Arbroath, spring kept us hanging on didn't it? But finally, ping! And here it is....I've mixed this years Elderflower up a bit by combining it with Dog-Rose- it's a taste sensation!

Thanks for having me and great to find you all ;D (hooray)
Marjolie x

HappyHippy

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2013, 05:45:40 pm »
Hi Marjolie  :wave:

I can't find mine yet (think I've been looking in the wrong area of woodland  ::)) going out to look again tomorrow and taking the quad this time  ;)

Mmmm, dog rose  :thinking: I'm sure we've got that.......somewhere !
What we do have is an abundance of wild raspberries  :yum: But it'll be one mad day of picking them once they're ready to save the birds getting them  :innocent:

Cordials are quite exciting aren't they ? Oh how sad that makes me sound - never thought I'd go all hunter/gatherer  :roflanim: But I'm getting so into the whole forraging/wild foods side of smallholding, I feel a 'plan' forming (much to OH's terror  :excited:)

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2013, 06:30:00 pm »
If you now enjoy foraging happyhippy you should look at a book my OH gave me - edible wild plants and herbs by Pamela Michael.  Got some amazing stuff in it - am currently making Beech leaf Gin (it's gone green after the first week....exciting!)

Oh...and hello Marjolie!   :wave:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2013, 06:44:16 pm »
Karen,
My elderflowers still aren't out  :(  so yours may not be either. The tight green buds are begining to look a bit paler though so hopefully shouldn't be long now
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2013, 09:07:33 pm »
still waiting in North wales   :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:   Unbelievable. July!!!!!  Ive usually made and drink litres of 'champagne' by now!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS