Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bullying chickens.... HELP??  (Read 5885 times)

Wood

• Joined Jan 2011
Bullying chickens.... HELP??
« on: March 02, 2011, 08:36:52 am »
We have just took delivery last Sunday of 11 additional chickens to supliment our 9 chickens. We were given advice on how to introduce at night etc and all seemed fine, except for the occasional confrontation.

It is the OH who deals with them mainly as I work and she had said they were still fighting, lastnight after work I went to inspect and one of the poor new chickens had been pecked and was bleeding... did not like that at all so seperated 2 chickens (one old and one new) and put them in the shed for the night. This morning the bleeding has stopped and the chicken seems perky enough.

Questions I have is:
What should we do with the bully during the day?
If they peck and draw blood again should I take the bleeding chicken away?? (the wife wanted to put her on the sofa in a box to watch TV lastnight!)
Will it all settle down?? day 3 today?

Sorry if it seems abit of a ramble but I did not like it lastnight and want to get it sorted now!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Bullying chickens.... HELP??
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 08:40:35 am »
get some gentian violet spray - if they see blood they will keep going for it as they are drawn to the colour and the purple spray will hide it.

separating can prolongue this tricky period. but I can understnad your concerns about what may happen ifc you don't.

if you can source the bully I'd put her in a separate area where they can all still see each other but cannot make contact. reintroduce her in a few days and then she will be lower in th epecking order.

day 3 is still early days, it should settle. we've introduced new birds a few times and this is normal but upsetting to see. worst one for us was when the new cockerel who towers above the girls was so badly henpecked, he cowered. made me cry!! now you wouldn't believe it - he's ruling the roost and all the hens love him  :love:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 09:48:12 am »
I am assuming that they are confined somehow either with electric fence or similar, I am just trying to establish if the henpecked hen can get away, if not give them something to do such as scratch through a pile of compost etc or hang up some cabbages, this may diffuse the situation, but it may not!
We had a badly pecked hen once, purple spray does keep the others off and the hen made a good recovery and all settled down. Also make sure you have enough feeders and drinkers at least 2 of each so that the lower orders can still get something to eat and drink without steeping on the others territory so to speak.

Glentarki

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Perth/Fife Border
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 10:13:39 am »
Had this problem myself occasionally along with a few chook friends of mine…..You did exactly what I would do and remove the bleeding bird. Chickens like many birds are inquisitive and the blood on a injured chook will draw them all in…Trust me on this one do not return the injured party until completely healed over or they will continue to go for the wound and result in the death of your chook……..In my experience they have been fine once returned providing the wound had time to heal…If you can house your injured chook separately but close to the others this will help with the reintroduction.

Incidentally when this situation has occurred with me its always been the same area, base of the back just above the tail feathers, and I suspect a few lost tail feathers while having a scrap was enough to cause the problem. I’ve also never experienced it being a ongoing problem after the birds recovery.

Hope this helps and best of luck with the chooks Im sure they will settle down soon!

Dave

Wood

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 10:43:52 am »
Just to clarify I have not removed the bleeding hen since this morning she was no longer bleeding.

It was the 2 bullies we removed for the evening / overnight. We have let them all out into the garden today where they normally are to give them some space.

We will see what happens later but if necessary I was take the bullies away again and then put them in a seperate area tomorrow to try and teach them a lesson?

Slavo

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 10:57:16 am »
I had a similar problem when introducing 4 new POL hens with my existing 4 hens. The new ones were too scared to leave the coop for a couple of weeks unless of course they were evicted whilst it was being cleaned out. The original 4 would peck the others until they were out of sight. This only happened during the day, whilst at night they were happy enough to share body heat. I guess they just have no morals.

They didn't go as far as drawing blood, it seemed to be more an opportunistic peck. If they were within reach, they'd have a go. I've heard that once blood is drawn, the group will all turn on the weak until they're dead. I left them to sort it out amongst themselves, keeping an eye on them and they have since all realised who's who and are best of friends; this did take several weeks. One of the new hens would brave the outdoors at a time until they all came out.

I suppose I didn't have it too bad as all of mine were fairly young (< 8 months old).

Best of luck!

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 07:42:21 pm »
I have been told before to remove the bully, not the victim.

If you take the victim out then when she goes back in she will just have to start again from the bottom.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 10:35:35 pm »
increase their protein intake, apparently that works to reduce the fighting. But they do have to establish who's boss!  :&>

Wood

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 08:36:26 am »
Day 5 today and think we are starting to find our pecking order. The injured chicken is all fine now, woke up the next day and the wound was all clean and dry, it was the skin on top of her head (not sure of technical name) that had been pecked.

Lastnight had just one bully in the shed and all the rest settled OK after a day in the garden. This morning let them out and they all bolted out of the chicken house and none stayed in so hopefully we have cracked it.

Now the OH will be flapping about who is laying and who is not!

Thanks for all the advice.. ;D

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 09:17:15 am »
Excellent! that's really good news  :)

if mine have a tussle it tends to be the comb (the red bit on their head) that gets pecked and bleeds - was that where you meant.  we notice a bit of blood on the side of the poultry feeder where they've been eating their layers pellets and then go on a hunt to see who needs the purple spray!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Wood

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 10:06:06 am »
Yes the comb... but it is all dried up now and she looks very perky.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS