Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Little canibals!!  (Read 4062 times)

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
Little canibals!!
« on: July 26, 2012, 07:34:04 pm »
My 10/11 week old cockerals have started pecking each other at the top of their tail feathers. We've already had to dispatch one because of this but ideally wanted to keep them until they're more worth while eating! Can I clip their beaks? And if so how do I go about it? Any advice would be great, thanks. ??? :-[

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
Re: Little canibals!!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 07:50:50 pm »
You need to look at their set up and ask yourself why are they doing this, could be a number of reasons, boredom, lack of space, diet. Please don't debeak your birds it's cruel and unnecessary. Separate if needed.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 09:42:34 pm »
Um, they dont have a lot of space although there were 15 in their little pen. Six girls are now outside and the last two go tomorrow leaving 6 boys inside (one having been dispatched already). It seems funny that space is more of an issue now although I appreciate they aren't getting any smaller.
Should there be more protein in their diet? I've been cutting back the pellets as we have loads of wheat? They also get house hold scraps and hand fulls of grass and clover each day. :-[

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 09:47:06 pm »
You can get anti peck spray or those little things that you can put on the beak to prevent pecking (not sure if they are cruel or kind though?)
try hanging lettuces or CD's up for them to peck at  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 10:11:58 pm »
It probably started a while ago when you had more birds in the pen, its a habit that is hard to break. Hang some veg up for them.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 10:12:30 pm »
Just a couple of things we do to help with boredom for our adult chooks.
A couple of logs to jump on and off and find crawlies in and we hang open leaved type cabbages up on the mesh fencing for them to stretch and work at.

No experience of chicks so hope this is useful info and not   :dunce: of me

I don't know how successful rasping the tips of a hens beak, like an overgrown pet bird beak, would work to reduce the severity of the injuries.  I think debeaking, as often illustrated for poultry, seams a  cruel means of controlling a problem.

Hope you can find something that helps before any others are too badly injured  :bouquet:  :fc:

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 10:18:10 pm »
Agree with other posts.

More space if possible, dust bath, hanging veg., branches ...... anything to give them something to do.

Anti peck spray as soon as possible to try and break the habit.

Good luck  :fc:

Polished Arrow

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Forest of Dean
  • www.cinderhilllfarm.com
    • www.cinderhillfarm.com
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 10:58:38 pm »
My 8 ladies and Marv the Cockerel are being utterly beastly to the three 5 week old chicks we have.  The chicks, though, just fly out of the electric fence as soon as someone is nasty to them, spend the day free ranging unlike their portly elders, and then fly back in at bed time.  I have decided to not try to upset this delicate but seemingly effective arrangement, and am also feeding the cat extra every morning to hopefully stop him from seeing them as juicy elevensies...
www.cinderhillfarm.com

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
Anais Nin

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 07:53:43 am »
You must, also. cover any sight of blood as they will keep pecking at it. I swear by Sudocrem which covers the wounds and heals quickly.

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 08:10:01 am »
Thanks everyone, I've got sudocrem so will try that on the one they were pecking. He's been on his own all night but I've let him back for food and water so hopefully :fc:  he's ok until I go back out for a look :-\ . They do have 2 logs and a branch to perch on but I'll definately try hanging up some veg for them.
I've just hatched another 8 out yesterday and as my Hubby knows someone who might be able to sex them I think we'll only rear the girls this time. I'm dissappionted though as I thought it would be good to have some for eating too but this too stressful for whats looking like very little reward. Not to mention all the feeding they eat. ::)

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 08:34:23 am »
Forget trying to cover up the problem with sprays or cream it won't work.

Either cull or allow them total freedom to get out of each others way. Once they have started pecking you won't stop it as one will teach another and they will kill each other without doubt.

Your youngsters are totally reliant on your husbandry and stockmanship and not doing anything about the amount of space they are in is neglectful.

Why are you keeping all the males are they for tablebirds/breeding or just to be found homes after they grow on a bit ?

My advice would be to cull, as allowing this situation  to continue is cruelty.

Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 04:57:00 pm »
Thats a bit strong Castle farm! If I think for a minute they are in pain or distress we will cull them, hence one being away already. I'm only trying to give their lives a little purpose and put them to some use. If your right and nothing works they will all be disspatched, I think a few things are worth a try first. They arent meat birds just a by product of hatching out and selling a few females. They are welcome to go to a new home but I think most people end up with too many boys.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 09:11:02 pm »
I tell it like it is I'm afraid, no point beating about the bush. This problem crops up every time a batch of chicks out grows the coop they are in.

The longer to put off dealing with a problem like this the more damage the birds inflict. I have had it happen myself, within an hour of a bird showing blood they can be eaten to death.

Not having a go at you OEH.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 09:17:00 am »
Two girls away to their new home, one boy ready for the pot tonight and the others have settled down and seem content again in their enriched pen  :fc: . Thanks for all your advice  :thumbsup: .

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 08:02:22 pm »
So Oneeyedhen. Much more space and consider Bumpa bits from Omlet. Fit them with 'external' circlip pliars. Very easy, very cheap, re-useable and most importantly painless. They get used to them in a day and thereafter eat normally. Target the pecker, not the pecked. Anti-peck spray is horrible stuff (and expensive) and stops the poor victim from preening.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS