Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tiny teats  (Read 32486 times)

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: Tiny teats
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2014, 09:07:31 pm »
Hiya all. Really interesting as I'm looking at getting a milking machine. Does anyone use a pulsating machine? Im sure I've read somewhere that the Vacuum Milkers can damage the teats over time. .anyone else had this?

I've got an old style bucket milking machine.  I resist using it until this time of year when I've got 4 to milk and my hands start hurting.
I enjoy a quiet morning milking time  when I'm hand milking and can do two.  Using the machine makes it into a 'job'.  I miss my morning thinking space, not really ready for that noise at 7am.  It does work well but I exchange cramping hands for aching shoulders and elbows carrying buckets of water out to rinse it through.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2014, 11:51:45 pm »
Been ponding your milking machine having seen it MGoM. Been thing int of a way you could make it a 1 person job without the OH to press the button when you're ready. If you put a three way tap at the Y between the 2 tubes to the syringes that go to the teats then you could attach 1 to the teat while the three way tap attachment to the other is closed and then place the other onto the teat and flip the switch to include both.

Not sure I have explained my idea well and it might not work but worth a go maybe.

??? ??? ???

Actually, I have discovered that if I rest the motor on my thighs, I can press the button with my elbow. Once Cloud's head is restrained, I will be able to manage on my own.

Dogwalker, I agree with you that hand milking is a lovely 'thinking' time. I enjoy it but, apart from needing the machine to cope with Cloud's tiny teats, I think milking two would be hard on my hands. It's also good to know that I can use it on Pom when my hands are really bad.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2014, 11:53:13 pm »
since using the machine on willow and her tiny teats, they have increased in size a bit so she's hand milkable if I need to
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2014, 09:40:08 am »
I had reached the point where the pain was so bad in my wrist that I was dreading milking each day and it had become a chore  :(  with this machine I can sit and watch all 4 of them while they have their feed, spend time relaxing rather than concentrating etc and I know her udder is being more efficiently milked which is a relief.   I do enjoy hand milking but the pain after just wasn't worth it. 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2014, 10:56:22 am »
It does stop being a pleasure if it hurts. I hope that I can continue hand milking for many years to come but at least i know I can machine milk both of them if I have to.

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2014, 08:17:16 pm »
Sorry to be late asking questions on the milker, but I've only just started milking my goat in volume and would like the option of using the dansha machine. Which model did you choose and did you buy direct or through eBay?  My second goat is  a small GG who I'll put in kid this autumn, should I buy a small teat set as well? Its so encouraging that you've had such good experiences!

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2014, 09:36:56 pm »
if she's like my guernseys ask for the 20ml cups, we have a hand pump and a battery pump, the battery one is much faster for getting a good suction if she's not one that will happily stand for you to hand pump (great work out for your forearms btw)
bought through Ebay (quote accidental smallholder and see if you get a discount seeing as so many of us have made purchases recently  :innocent: )
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2014, 12:00:38 am »
I bought mine through ebay and asked for small teat cups at the same time so they could put them both in the same box, so reducing the cost of postage.

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2014, 06:27:39 am »
Thank you I'm definitely going to buy one.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2014, 11:47:50 pm »
 :thumbsup:

I'm sure you'll love it.

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2014, 02:18:52 pm »
Ordered and I mentioned the recommendations for TAS. No discount, but he thanked you all for your comments.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2014, 12:13:59 am »
Let us know how it goes. Bet you love it. The motor noise made mine a bit jumpy at first so for a day or two I took it into their yard and started it a few times. They soon got used to it and weren't worried when I produced it at milking time.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2014, 12:56:54 am »
does anyone happen to know if the Mason Ball jars are the same size/dimensions as the Kilner ones? Could do with a couple of extra jars but not sure if they would fit  ???

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2014, 03:17:26 pm »
Was wondering the same thing too. I have ordered one as one of my girls is very twitchy at the moment milking (I think it's the flies, she puts up so long and then starts kicking the pail over). It's a bit of a battle of wills to make sure she gets properly milked out and I am happy to put up with her being a bit mardy but I know my OH won't put up with her being temperamental when I'm away so this way I know she'll be fine when I can't be here to milk her.
A spare jar will mean I can be away for more than 1 milking as am pretty sure I will come home to find the jar ready and waiting for me to wash!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2014, 08:48:59 pm »
I ordered extra jars on ebay.  did a search for mason ball jars and up they came.  Savannah fills 2 jars at each milking now and I might need to buy another at this rate. so far I've not smashed any (touch wood!!)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS