Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: dealing with dog poo  (Read 2387 times)

VEG

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Maesteg South Wales
dealing with dog poo
« on: April 19, 2014, 06:53:10 pm »
How do you get rid of it?
Just bought some land with some kennels on and have a chap with 6 foxhounds in residence. Does anyone use one of those dog poo decomposing things? would it deal with the crap from this many dogs?

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: dealing with dog poo
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 07:16:35 pm »
I have a feeling there is a long thread on this somewhere,. but basically after a lot of research I bought a large strong lidded dustbin.  Put some brash (it woody twiggy stuff) in the bottom then a shovel full of garden soil and a kilo of good big dendrobaena worms, you can buy online or from a fishing shop. 
Then just fill up with poo. 

When full - which will take much longer than you think as the worms will be eating it and turning it into soil, leave for a year then use somewhere you wont be handling it, ie not on veg or pleasure gardens - really thats just to be on the safe side.  It will look and smell exactly like normal earth
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 09:42:07 pm »
I just put it down the manhole cover. I decided those 'dog poo' things were just a poor septic tank and that it might as well go into the properly designed one.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 11:03:35 pm »
We tried one of those when we only had three small dogs (cockers) - it couldn't cope.  So now I put it all down the outside drain - goes straight into the main sewers.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

VEG

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Maesteg South Wales
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 11:14:07 pm »
Thanks for the replies there is no sewer or drains on the land that can be used, thats why I asked about the dog loo. Any other alternatives?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 11:55:49 pm »
double or triple bag it and send in rubbish to landfill?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 11:47:50 am »
Similar to dark brown eggs

Normal plastic dustbin, cut the bottom off, sank in ground
We have used ours quite a while now and it only looks like we have a couple of days worth in there
I would suggest maybe having more than one might alleviate your concerns

I also think cutting the bottom off was the best thing we did

Our own toilet was the same thing for 10 months it coped just about with 3 of us that included flushing a mains toilet.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS