Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Auto turning  (Read 6301 times)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
Auto turning
« on: March 18, 2010, 08:16:54 am »
Hi can anyone reassure me may sound silly but my rcom suro has an auto turning cradle but this doesn't turn the eggs over just kind of rocks them at a steep angle. Is this ok? Am I meant to turn them over too? I can't find any instructions that say I do but wasn't sure. Thanks.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Auto turning
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 08:22:57 am »
The automatic turner should br turning the eggs very slowly and gradually. If you watch for a longer time you will see that the gentle nudging does keep rolling the eggs - or should do at least.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 08:25:45 am »
Humm maybe I shoul space them out more doesn't look like they are

oink

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 08:58:07 am »
Hi Helencus,  I've just got the same incubator as you and placed my eggs in this morning but after reading your post I'm beginning to worry myself  ???  I just kinda figured that the steep slow rocking would keep the yolks from sticking so would be enough.

Needless to say I'll be keeping an eye on this thread with interest

And just think, I was so excited only 5 minutes ago ;D ;)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 09:31:12 am »
Gosh didn't mean to worry anyone just seemed odd to me that it only rocks them and everyone tells you you must turn them.. They have a good reputation so surely the manufacturer should know.. You'd think so

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 09:41:27 am »
Have been using an auto cradle for years, they work fine. Just dont overload and strain the cradle. Hermit

bamford6

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 10:34:45 am »
slight movment will keep the eggs ok

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 11:25:15 am »
Nothing to worry about, the rocking motion keeps the yolk moving and stops the developing chick getting stuck to the side of the egg.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 05:33:01 pm »
Cheers that's what I hoped

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 07:12:37 pm »
dont panic helen!
 if you want reassurance, mark a small cross on an egg and check every so often... you'll see that it changes position
We weren't convinced ours was turning, but doing this proved it.

It should be called an auto-rocker or something!
Little Blue

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 07:31:09 pm »
Lol am I that obvious little blue. Feel like an expectant mom and it's only day 2! I'm worried about several posts with dire results from eBay eggs..

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 07:36:20 pm »
 ;)

Que sera, sera.
 If they're not fertile, they wont hatch. If they're in an incy and you've set it up right, then you've given them the best chance you can
And if they dont hatch, learn from it, or accept that you need better egg stock!
 :D   :chook:   :D
Little Blue

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 07:38:31 pm »
Yep I guess so. Be good if it does go well guess we all want that

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 07:39:58 pm »
I know, I'm hoping all ours hatch too!
Little Blue

QWOLF

• Joined May 2009
  • DOLLAR
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 09:42:13 am »
HI AGAIN
its the suro i use and have a good succes rate with it always get at least haf the eggs i put in,just let the machine do its job ....RELAX,mind change the humidity @18 days and take out seperaters same time and change the wee bit foam in the roof of the machine if its the king suro all on the 18th day dont worry to much if the humidity shows high its never caused me any problems i keep mine at 37.5 and 45hum till 18th day then 37.5 and 70 i know book says 65 but from all i have read everywhere it doesnt make a lot of difference? should start pipping from 19 - 21 days i have had chicks born 20 days  i dont go over 22 days as anything after that seems to have defects, but that is just me. as before any questions u have my mail good luck......
Currently haved 3 x 5 months old peking bantams,2 x isa brown, 1 x welsummer and 5 welsummer chicks and thats me at my full quota, their great fun and i think everybody should keep a couple of chooks as there great and the eggs are a bonus  LOL

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS