Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cant get rid of them  (Read 6363 times)

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
Cant get rid of them
« on: November 06, 2011, 05:15:54 pm »
Red mite- i've had poultry for 3 years. This spring i noticed an investation of red mite in two of the 3 (wooden)hen houses. Ive tried everything- power washed everything- burnt them off with a blowtorch, creosoted, varnished, dusted the birds, cleaned, red mite spray, everything- all ideas gleaned from this forum. Was out again this afternoon and lo and behold- under one perch of each house- there they are again.  Im at the end of my tether-completely sick to the back teeth.  Came in to go on computer to give the whole bloody lot away on ebay or gumtree but turned to you all in desperation. 

Where am i going wrong? Is there any type of housing that would be less susceptible to these mites? plastic oil tanks/coal bunkers you know the thing... What do the commercial poultry people do?

Any advice most welcome.

Declan

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Cant get rid of them
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 05:29:11 pm »
You don't have to just remove them from the housing but from the birds at the same time. I've always used a steam cleaner in the houses----boil the buggers to death :D and at the same time sprayed the poultry and used a powder in their dust baths. You will have to do all this a few times to keep on top of the little blighters. And when you steam the house make sure you do it well, not just a quick blast but a concerted and viscious blasting >:(

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 06:17:23 pm »
How's your roof constructed, Declan?  Victoria Roberts always says roofing felt is heaven for red mite, and recommends us all to use onduline / cordyline.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 06:22:15 pm »
we had red mite back in the summer..... >:( >:(
we clean now using smite and have diatom on all ledges and around the edges and on the floor and perches
aqlso in the nest boxes.....
we went in at niight and killed loads,  did this for about a week.

touch wood the diatom is doing its stuff and we are clear (well i not seen any)

Mx

gapcap

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 08:19:54 pm »
Its horrible,I had the same problems, Diatom (touching wood!!) has done the trick here as well, I've also put it down where they dust bath(luckily they have dust baths in a covered open barn so they're staying dry) Brilliant stuff :)

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 08:22:08 pm »
If I remember right you have to give treatment every few days to break the breading cycle of the little B's. last time we had them I used the pink spray net-ex I think and powder in the dust baths
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 08:29:15 pm »
That pink nettex spray was brilliant when we had redmite last year! We didnt' have any this time round thank goodness.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 08:32:18 pm »
That pink nettex spray was brilliant when we had redmite last year! We didnt' have any this time round thank goodness.

Smells nice too which is a bonus  ;D
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 08:33:56 pm »
it does!! and having 4 young daughters the colour was another added bonus  ;D  Fleece wife suggested a weedwand to me last year and described a satisfying sizzle upon using it on redmite - I was tempted!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 09:00:06 pm »
okey dokey- will give the nice smelly stuff and the diatom stuff a try. Maybe i wasn't persistent enough. I was stopping once i saw no more- maybe i should stick with the treatments t obreak the cycle as you suggest. Thanks for that.

Declan

travis

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 09:55:19 pm »
Diatom works for me, and nice that it contains no pesticides. I put down in the cracks where I know they appear as a regular routine. I reckon you can't eliminate them on a permanent basis as they will be reintroduced by wild birds which carry them.

JEP

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 10:44:25 pm »
i was reading in one of the mags about red mite
that you don't clean the shed for about 2 weeks and introduce
another mite that lives of the red mite and dies of when there is
non left to feed on

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 10:46:45 pm »
i got it in both my huts and my rabbit run this summer, what i did was move all birds and rabbits into one shed, this was cramped but it was only for a short time.

power hosed the other shed, coated in diatom, 2/3 times a week for about 2 weeks, (during this time i was treating the birds and rabbits in the other hut),

them moved the birds into the other hut and gave it the same treatment, all the time treating the birds to stop any mites reinfesting the cleaned hut.

Touch wood i havn't seen any since

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 12:20:52 am »
Diatom works for me, and nice that it contains no pesticides. I put down in the cracks where I know they appear as a regular routine. I reckon you can't eliminate them on a permanent basis as they will be reintroduced by wild birds which carry them.
That sounds right - we get swallows nesting in our hen houses every year and that's always when the little horrors start crawling around.  Ours were particularly bad this year, so we have added diatom on the birds (and in the swallows nests) and wood ash copiously sprinkled around the sheds and perches to our armoury - along with the weed wand to zap the little b****rs and Cuprinol everywhere several times a year.  If we have them, then I use the weed wand every day for about a week (being careful not to set fire to the baby swallows  :o) but they re-infest quite soon.  It is tempting to stop keeping hens but I love them too much, with their gentle chatter and raucous screeches, and their funny henny ways which I could watch all day long.... :chook: :chook: :chook:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Heather

• Joined Sep 2010
  • West Yorkshire
  • Hi, I live in Yorkshire and keep a few chickens
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 11:49:10 am »
good luck Declan. Don't give up
Heather

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS