Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Why are my dogs so needy of me?  (Read 19117 times)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Why are my dogs so needy of me?
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2013, 12:08:49 pm »
We took ours out working for the first time and they were OK, not brill as we were told to put them in some cover to flush out the pheasants and they ran out that bit into the woods with the other dogs, not bad as we were well behind the line but, after that we put them back on the lead, great news is, some one saw the potential in our choice lab and is going to offer free lessons and also wants to breed a litter from her with their stud as they want more good choclate Labs as gun dogs, both mine and theirs are fantastical laid back strong dogs health checks and all etc.....he is a relative to my yellow who is already a great dog!!!! So excited indeed!!!! Wish I had taken up working them sooner!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2013, 03:27:30 pm »
SITN I loved that video although I agree it must have been highly edited.  Clever though.

I've never worked a dog but did have one who was from working parents and the instinct was very strong in her.  Our local shepherd often said, "That dog should be working." and a friend whose husband worked sheep kept trying to persuade me to part with her.  As we had a craft workshop, we had to leave our drive gates open for people who couldn't walk the 150 yards to the house (ie most of the lazy ****) so the hill sheep would wander in.  I've watched Lass nose to nose with one on our lawn.  As soon as she was told "Go." she would chase the sheep up the drive but always stopped at the gate and watched them go sown the track.  She knew the word Sheep as well.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2013, 04:59:34 pm »
 :roflanim:  ours know the word sausage just as well!!!
I have not been near any sheep with our Labs but I pretty much think they would not run in with them, but then again, if one went and I did not stop her, the others may follow and then get excited so I tend to avoid sheep....thats easy as there are loads of sheep free places here, trouble is for walkers with dogs, unless you have been on the walk before you never know, I love the sheep warning signs, I think they are just whats needed but I suppose as farmers move thier sheep they do not want the extra bit of trouble of putting up notices, then if people see the notice and no sheep they will ignore other ones....a warning sign to me is good though!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2013, 05:07:18 pm »
We took ours out working for the first time and they were OK, not brill as we were told to put them in some cover to flush out the pheasants and they ran out that bit into the woods with the other dogs, not bad as we were well behind the line but, after that we put them back on the lead, great news is, some one saw the potential in our choice lab and is going to offer free lessons and also wants to breed a litter from her with their stud as they want more good choclate Labs as gun dogs, both mine and theirs are fantastical laid back strong dogs health checks and all etc.....he is a relative to my yellow who is already a great dog!!!! So excited indeed!!!! Wish I had taken up working them sooner!!
I remember saying Rhum would be a good working dog when I saw her at 8 weeks.  She kept her eyes on us the whole time.  I think she's a great little dog.  I know many working folk don't like chocolates - supposedly they are not very clever, but any I have met would definitely put them right where that is concerned.  Rhum's a smart dog.
I'm surprised the Shoot Captain asked you to send Labs in to flush, that's usually the job of the Spaniels. Labs usually only have to hunt when the fall isn't marked or it's a runner, and are usually sat at a peg, or walked at heel. 
Spaniels are the Keepers' preferred breeds for hunting but I suppose they maybe didn't have any with them..

I'm sure Rhum'll be a great mum and produce super working pups. A good age for her first litter too.

I'm glad our shoot is reasonably flat, I'm not fit any more for our usual shoots on the moors.
Agree with you about the warning signs being a  good idea, but as you say, it's extra work for farmers.  I'm not usually near sheep either though.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2013, 05:55:53 pm »
 :farmer: here.  Farming a World Heritage Site / National Trail now and previously in Northumberland National Park, I can tell you that any kind of stock warning sign is very much frowned upon.

The Park put up generic 'Lambing time' warning signs at the leaving-a-road point for public footpaths in April and take them down early May.   More than that we are requested to not do, as they don't want anything that looks as though we're discouraging tourists.

When there was a foot and mouth outbreak in 2007, English Heritage wouldn't allow us to put out disinfectant for the tourists to wash their boots and wheels. :rant:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2013, 06:05:42 pm »
Cannot see any rhyme or reason for not putting up signs unless it too difficult to.
There were loads of spaniels, we were on the far end of the line and there was a bit of rough ground, good cover for birds, the rest were next to us in the woods, for some reason another chap took the field and we had to cover the edge of the forest so when asked to send them in the field they came back to us and then ran into the forest with the other dogs...not sure why they other chap took no notice, quite possibly a  bit easier on foot as it was just a field.
I was certainly put to test Anne, I started the last person to get in line and I just happened to get the bit in the field where all the cattle stand, after that it was deep bog, I got stuck and had to have some help being pulled out due to my short fat legs and weak muscle not being enough to get them out, thankfully I had very good boots, my treat when I had some TAX back, that made me last all the time, I often got the worse bit as well but, strangely loved it all, every bit, bogs, hills, trees, brambles the lot....not forgetting the port and pie and lovely food....and the pheasants!! :eyelashes:
A good friend trains gun dog and also uses them, I took Rhum training and they loved her, although she gave me a " No, you go and fetch it" look when she had to jump a ditch!! Rohan, however fetched everything and was brilliant but hated the feathers, so, I am making a nice dummy with the pheasont feathers tomorrow!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2013, 10:06:58 pm »
You could get a rabbit skin for about £7 for Sporting Saint - enough to cover a dummy and two tennis balls.  I did that, but I have one sitting waiting to be used that the  Rio the cat took home.  Look out for a dead bunny on the road too. Just leave them fur side down on newspaper or kitchen paper, covered in salt for a good while - out of reach of marauders of course :innocent:  ;D  That cupboard beside the kitchen would be a good place.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2013, 10:09:44 pm »
I have some nice feathers too now...some suggested putting them in a sock...I will do that and also find a way to fasten the tail feathers, they are very keen to take them!!

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2013, 06:08:00 pm »
Ooo - horn shepherd's whistle...  sounds very interesting!  Lotta money if I can't get a better result on one than on my £1.58 plastic one... :thinking:

Hmmm, I struggle with a plastic one - I can whistle and vary the pitch, but I always end up squishing it a bit or clogging it with spit..

May be time for a more expensive one.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS