Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Will this heal ok?  (Read 4507 times)

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
Will this heal ok?
« on: March 07, 2013, 09:03:58 am »
When Phil did our sheep yesterday, he had a few problems with 'sticky' areas due to the winter build up of lanolin. In a few cases some pregnant ladies got a cut behind their developing udders . It was just a surface wound, not worthy of stitches or anything but a good inch and a half across in one case. Of course we sprayed with antiseptic but my concern is they've got five-eight weeks to go until the popping event and I'm worried that they're just going to bag up and put pressure on those tears. If I keep up with the antiseptic spray to dry it out and promote knitting I guess that will help. Should I be using blue (antibiotic) spray instead perhaps? Seem a stupid question but niggling me nonetheless.
Interesting that the rams had barely any sticky issues, neither did the ewes not carrying lambs. Hmmm  :thinking:

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
Re: Will this heal ok?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 11:14:27 am »
Morning, Last year I had a ewe with a cut to her udder (oh a long story as it always is with sheep  ::) ) just before lambing and I sprayed with the blue terramycin spray and to be honest it never caused her any bother at all. Hope your girls are ok, I would go with the blue spray... I use it on everything  :excited:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 11:35:34 am »
I have used plaster tar spray (from the horsey section), and it worked well, as it covers the wounds and less muck/flies can get to it.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 12:19:21 pm »
Manuka honey will heal it in a blink of an eye and stop infection.

Lostlambs

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Canada
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 12:27:58 pm »
Pardon for asking, What is Manuka honey?

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 12:31:03 pm »
Its a honey produced in australia and new zealand from pollen from the manuka tree. Honey has healing properties anyway but manuka honey is meant to be especially good for skin. As a carer many of my clients had manuka honey cream for skin complaints and i'm sure its just as affective for animals.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 12:59:42 pm »
Provided it's kept clean it should heal in that time.  I find the plastic wound  spray works well - seals and stops bleeding.  Fearing do one called SBF - Stops Bleeding Fast.  The (more expensive) one for humans from the chemist works the same.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 02:08:54 pm »
Manukau honey is fab, when any one is poorly, a spoonful with hot water, I have also put in on my own skin to aid healing
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 02:19:29 pm »
Interesting that the rams had barely any sticky issues, neither did the ewes not carrying lambs. Hmmm  :thinking:

Neither the rams or the barren ewes have any strain on their system so their wool will come off more easily. With the breeding ewes you will find that the wool won't "rise" until early summer, by which time it should come off pretty cleanly.

We usually shear in mid June and find that the ewes rearing twins are more sticky than the singles.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 02:53:56 pm »
I have used plaster tar spray (from the horsey section), and it worked well, as it covers the wounds and less muck/flies can get to it.

We use this similar too, called cut-heal, for shearing nicks, works really well if you apply it asap after being cut. Really good stuff especially in the summer as it prevents any fly worry to any wounds.

SheepCrazy!

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Dumfries and Galloway
  • www.hawthornsoaysandjacobs.co.uk
    • hawthornsoaysandjacobs
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 03:52:53 pm »

Pedwardine, I was just wondering if you lambed indoors, as this year I am lambing indoors and the ewes are definitely more sticky than usual! Not very nice when the lambs trying to find the teat and you get a sticky hand!  :roflanim: Maybe they're just sweating more? 

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 06:13:56 pm »
The tar spray sounds great. I'll go get some tomorrow. Also keen on trying the Manuka. Do flies get attracted to it in high season at all? Thanks ever so for your feedback. Sheepcrazy,  we will be lambing indoors. We always bring our girls inside (with an outdoor yard to give a bit more space this year) a week before the first ewe is due. At the moment however they're outdoors.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 01:45:41 am »
I would go with the blue spray... I use it on everything  :excited:

I wish people would not use antibiotic spray when there is no active infection.  Wanton use of antibiotics promotes resistance.

For a fresh, clean cut, use antiseptic spray to keep it clean, then there should not be any infection that would require antibiotics.

Save the antibiotic spray for when there are bacteria need killing.  Please.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 07:40:16 am »
I have never had flies attracted to the Manuka honey.  It is quite expensive but a pot lasts a very long time. A just find it a handy thing to have around for cuts/wounds, despite absolutely loathing honey myself!

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 09:00:27 am »
when I said I use it on everything I should have explained myself better... I meant I use it on everything i.e. on all our animals. I agree there is no need to use antibiotics in any medium unnecessarily however in a case of a cut which is in an area which is likely to have been contaminated (which mine was) and showed signs of redness I would defiantely use an antibiotic spray to ensure an infection did not take hold by those pesky opportunistic invaders in such an important area at lambing time. Sorry for any confusion  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS