Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Disability...do you tell your employer or not?  (Read 8535 times)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Disability...do you tell your employer or not?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 07:59:07 pm »
I hope so, but only when he actualy gets another perm job....agencies can choose and get rid of you in a flash......its hard!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 08:33:58 pm »
On the bright side, I find it difficult to remember what I have just read, especially non-fiction, and need to read something several times before it penetrates my brain.  I love to read crime books and can read the same one more than once as, although I remember that I've read the book before once I've started it, I can't remember who dunnit.

I am exactly the same but I have never considered myself dyslexic.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 09:20:22 pm »
I had a person working for me whose medical condition meant he wasn't going to be able to do flexible/extra hours which most of our department roles needed. Because he was open about the reason to me, i was able to ensure that he was in a role where this would be less of an issue, and also that he wasn't in any way penalised at appraisal. And when he moved on and applied for a new role, he agreed to disclose to his new boss so the same consideration could apply.

So it can work well - but my organisation was quite switched on about those things and I did try to be a 'good' boss - but if he hadn't felt able to be open i wouldnt have been able to make reasonable adjustments as the law  requires.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 09:22:31 pm »
Happy-go-Lucky, we certainly have lots on common.  I, too, have done care work and so has my son.  His last job was working with children with learning disabilities.  ATM he is working his way round Australia but will probably go back into care when he returns next year.  Oh and I often say the wrong word as well.  Gives people a laugh.   ;D

Doganjo, it is definitely one of the signs.  I also have problems with lefts and rights and maps.  Have to turn it upside down if we are travelling south so I know which way to turn.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 09:34:12 pm »
I worked for many years with disabled children and if I work now I still work with disabled adults, I like it but like you, my body cannot cope with some one suddenly falling on me  :eyelashes:
I do not really read any more, I for some reason cannot sit still to take stuff in except on here...not keen on fiction anyway but I occasionally read something interesting, however my husband reads a lot.....
Its also hard when my husband has an interview, he does not always come over they way he should do.....well it is very hard for anyone now. Filling in forms is also a nightmare for him, he can talk but when it comes to putting it down it comes out wrong, with random sentences....that still is not really the problem. I can usually work out whats wrong with things even if I have no skills, one funny and annoying thing was we had a flat tyre and so had to change it with the spare, I said I could drop the tyre off to be repaired and he went on and on and on as he could not get it how we could leave the wheel and tyre there.....I kept saying the same things and he still found it hard until we actually took it to the tyre fitters and then he got it!! When we have had people on night shifts he finds it very difficult to work out how many nights they have stayed......anyway, fingers crossed and he will get more work, like I said I have some work anyway if needed!!
My eldest daughter recons she does things too that she forgets she has done or thinks she has done things that she has not, her dad is like that and so is Steve!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 09:53:19 pm »
Doganjo, it is definitely one of the signs.  I also have problems with lefts and rights and maps.  Have to turn it upside down if we are travelling south so I know which way to turn.
I don't do that and I'm pretty sure I'm not dyslexic, not after 4 Highers and an Accountancy degree and 50 years as an auditor!  :innocent:  Is there a test I could take?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 09:59:40 pm »
There is a test but it's costly.  I had it done for free as I was doing a college course but I think you're looking at around £200 maybe more.

Getting a degree isn't necessarily a sign that you don't have it.  I have a degree, a Masters and done my teacher's training (PGCE).  People with dyselxia develop coping strategies, such as turning the map upside down. I also work out which is my left hand by checking which one has my wedding ring on it.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2012, 10:03:03 pm »
I really don't think I am dyslexic.   :eyelashes:  Just done an online test and scored -80 which shows I'm not at all dyslexic.  :relief:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 10:06:16 pm by doganjo »

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 10:13:38 pm »
Steve has loads of methods to help, he writes things down all the time whereas I keep stuff in my head, he also goes over and over information whereas I skim read, things like instructions I never read  :innocent:
Its more a case of needing good teachers rather than being a poor learner.

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2012, 10:46:37 pm »
I have no answers either as I have no experience of these sorts of issue, DITW gave a very good possibility, but in any case I really wish you and your hubby well and good luck
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2012, 01:36:36 am »
On the bright side, I find it difficult to remember what I have just read, especially non-fiction, and need to read something several times before it penetrates my brain.  I love to read crime books and can read the same one more than once as, although I remember that I've read the book before once I've started it, I can't remember who dunnit.

I am exactly the same but I have never considered myself dyslexic.

Me too and I am emphatically not dyslexic.  My memory, however, is random and a mystery to me and all who know me. ::)  (And, truth to tell, often an embarrassment  :-[)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2012, 08:59:51 am »
I must re literate, Dyslexia is not a measure of intelligence, that's a very narrow old fashioned view that many have and that's the danger,  you can be as thick as 2 short planks and not be Dyslexic or have the highest qualifications and be Dyslexic, think of it as  its possibly easier to learn from books but to do things without instruction is a different matter.....More like programming a computer rather than learning!!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2012, 09:51:24 am »
I have a very bright dyslexic friend so I know it's not a measure of intelligence.  But because I have a dyslexic friend I know that I do not have dyslexia myself.  If one aspect of dyslexia is word blindness, I have 20/20 vision and then some.  Same with numbers.

Can't remember facts though, to save my life.  ::)  I even forget really important personal things.  And I'm very poor at managing my time, I really have to work hard at organisation and punctuality.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2012, 10:20:32 am »
I have mental health problems, have had for 20 odd years, I've fought it, hid it, done well for myself both in qualifications and work and up to five or so years ago thought it was under control, only a couple of people knew there was anything there, then it all crashed down on me and as I broke down very publicaly everyone knew.

I was incredibly lucky to have private health care (Nhs provision for mental health issues is disgraceful) and have had (and still am for that matter) the best care money can buy.

I now function quite splendidly most of the time. I also have gone through several reincarnations, taking hobbies and making money from them. I now have my own dog grooming salon, I spend my days with my dogs and other people's dogs, my dogs keep me level. I still do a bit of shearing on the side in the summer.

I don't use computers, only my iPad, I don't use a mobile phone, I have created my own bubble that has as little unknowns as possible and I'm happy, I control me, nobody else controls me.

Just doing things for yourself has made me better, I have some self esteem now

Best advice I can give is find something that you can do for yourself, use the time when there is no work to develop yourself to change your reliance on working for others and work for yourself it is so rewarding, at the same time identify what your problems are and manage them as honestly as you can so those strategies work in the real world , you can't manage everything but life can be a whole lot easier just by accepting yourself and being honest with yourself

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2012, 10:22:27 am »
And also learn to use full stops and commas, sorry for my dreadful grammar, I am ashamed

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS